How to remove rust spots on stainless CMD

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckshot

Single-Sixer
Yesterday I decided to remove the grip panels on my stainless SR1911 CMD and found several small rust spots. After some quick searches on the interweb, it seem that this is a somewhat common issue. It doesn't seem to be pitted at all, just small spots. How do I clean this off without damaging the blasted finish? If it were a blued gun I would use a little rem oil and 0000 steel wool, but that's a no no on stainless. I'm afraid to use a scotchbite as well. Hoppes did nothing. Any ideas?

hittman

Staff member
Pro-Shot Products Metal Care Cloth.

I'm sure other brands may be available too. Do NOT use on anything blued.

NikA

Buckeye
I think anything you use will cause some wear to the bead blast finish. The finish appearance is the result of small peaks and valleys on the metal surface that are almost certain to be worn by even a gentle abrasive that will be needed to remove the rust spots.

That said, if the spotting is nearly all under the grips as was the case on mine, you don't need to be overly concerned about a little finish wear. I would recommend a bronze brush or copper wool with oil to clean up the spotting.

I replaced my grips with plastic ones. No issue on the other SR1911 with G10 grips.

Mike J

Hunter
I didn't use it for the rust spots but I removed a scratch from mine with a green scotch brite pad. I just kind of played with it & blended it in. I need to get it out one day. I haven't shot it in a while.

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
Ruger had an issue with rusting between the grip panels and the frame early on. Was some issue with improper production cleaning of the frames. I'd call Ruger customer service.

frankenfab

Single-Sixer
I can't help with the removal, but Corrosion X applied to the frame with prevent the rust.

https://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-X-90101-6oz-Aerosol/dp/B0009E3T6E?ref_=ast_sto_dp

True Value hardware stores carry it:

https://www.truevalue.com/all-around-penetrant-lubricant-6-oz

buckshot

Single-Sixer
Well because of all the snow I haven't been able to make it to the store to pick up a Pro-Shot Products Metal Care Cloth. Read some reviews, it seems like it may work well. Probably should have just ordered one, but I didn't want to wait for shipping, who know I would get so much snow. I did try a bit of oil and a bronze brush and didn't like what I was seeing so I stopped. I don't have a green scotch brite either. Maybe I'll give Ruger a call tomorrow just to see what they say. I hope to get to the store tomorrow a pickup the metal care cloth get this thing taken care of.

buckshot

Single-Sixer
Sorry, for not updating. Yes, got it back in a bit over a week. Yes, it looks like new. They also replaced the sear and made a barrel repair. Excellent customer service from Ruger. I am a very pleased.

Yesterday I decided to remove the grip panels on my stainless SR1911 CMD and found several small rust spots. After some quick searches on the interweb, it seem that this is a somewhat common issue. It doesn't seem to be pitted at all, just small spots. How do I clean this off without damaging the blasted finish? If it were a blued gun I would use a little rem oil and 0000 steel wool, but that's a no no on stainless. I'm afraid to use a scotchbite as well. Hoppes did nothing. Any ideas?
Not common in these parts I have 2 SR 1911 both are fine.