pc carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mr.streetglide

Bearcat
Hey guys going to pick up my pc carbine in few days need a good optic. I have been looking at the Vortex strikefire 11 . Any help would be awesome . thanks

Strikefire II is good. It's not an 'auto-on' unit but certainly not difficult or cumbersome to operate. I have 2 of these and have been satisfied with their performance.
What do you want the sight to do? Is 1X and an illuminated dot what (or all) you need?
There are many(too many actually) choices in the 'dot' market. Set yourself some [need/don't need/handy but not required] marks and spend some time looking through the options. Battery type, run time, overall size, and on/off/brightness controls are all big variables. Or, just go with the Strikefire II and don't look back--that works, too.

bentblade

Single-Sixer
I'm not against red dots but what is wrong with a good 2x or 3x scope.
If you have older eyes and or astigmatism you may not be happy with a red dot especially one of the 1 to 3 MOA dots. I suffer from both and the small dots look like a canted 8 or at times a clover leaf, If you are old enough think ghosts ghosts on an old TV.
Also if I crank up the brightness it's just a big red starburst.
That being said I have 6 MOA RMRs on my Glocks that I can see without out glasses. You may find that the larger dots are more defined and actually look like a round ball, atleast they do for for me.
There are some smaller scopes made for AR15s that would work well on the PC.

mr.streetglide

Bearcat
Mobuck said:
Strikefire II is good. It's not an 'auto-on' unit but certainly not difficult or cumbersome to operate. I have 2 of these and have been satisfied with their performance.
What do you want the sight to do? Is 1X and an illuminated dot what (or all) you need?
There are many(too many actually) choices in the 'dot' market. Set yourself some [need/don't need/handy but not required] marks and spend some time looking through the options. Battery type, run time, overall size, and on/off/brightness controls are all big variables. Or, just go with the Strikefire II and don't look back--that works, too.

Yes i have been looking at the strikefire seems like good dot thanks for the information.

Make certain you're getting a StrikeFire II. The original StrikeFire had the 'on' button on the side and would turn itself on in a case or if laid on it's left side under some circumstances. The result is a dead battery when you want the dot to work.
I'll offer that a possible alternative(dependent on your expected usage) is the Burris AR332 prism scope. Good battery/dead battery/no battery, the reticle is there since it's etched on the lens. Downside is a 3-4" eye relief(very similar to a normal scope) and it doesn't play well with folding BUIS(a questionable concept anyway IMHO).
Rigging out bunches of ARs each year, I get to handle and make my own judgements on literally every sight option for short range type shoulder fired firearms.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I have a Tru Glo 1-6x on my AR556. Red, green or black reticle. Have a simple red-dot on the PC9.