SINGLESIX HUNTER OR MARK* HANDGUN?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I am trying to decide between a Mark something and a Singlesix Hunter. I currently have an older model, full lug SP101 22 that I enjoy and that is a great match for my SP101 4.2 357. Problem is, I can no longer see the sights well enough to be satisfied with the targets I shoot. My thinking is I need either a scope or dot type sight. That handy little SP cannot be easily fitted with either. I have a red dot on my 44 S&W that I am happy with. I mostly just punch paper, although I used to shoot a few squirrels and groundhogs with a SS Hunter and a Mk II target that i had years ago.
I would be interested in thoughts of pluses and minuses, or other options.
Thanks
Bfly

hittman

Staff member
Since you've already got a revolver, go with something different.

I'd look for a nice used MKII ….. maybe consider a MKIV if that's not available.

Hard to go wrong either way.

I like both options, so I might not be much help! :p

I've used traditional pistol scopes and "tube" style red dots. (i.e. the original UltraDot)

I just put a Burris FastFire III "reflex" style red dot on a KMK4BL, and it's a HANDY little package!

I used a mount from Burris requiring removal of the rear sight, but it sits L-O-W, and close to the bore.

Link to a picture of a similar (non-Burris) setup, on a longer barreled pistol:
https://www.gunauction.com/buy/10760759

Johnnu2

Hunter
I have a Mk IV Lite..... as an old person, I enjoy light guns and this particular sight... it has brightness levels AND, I tested it by taking it off to use the iron sites (which are fibre optic in front and VERY easy to see) and then putting it back on WITHOUT having to re-sight-in. If I were buying again, I would buy it again... :)
p.s. I put in a Volquartsen trigger/sear etc kit (myself) and removed the magazine safety that precludes shooting when mag gets lost. It's now a normal firearm with a superb trigger.

IMHO,
J.

timboy

Bearcat
I'd go with the MK series,I have a MK II with a bull barrel and a red dot on it so Might be a tad biased.
I'm also waiting to pick up a MK IV Lite I recently purchased that I will be mounting a vortex venom on.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
The Mark* will most likely be more accurate, but there's something just fun about shooting/hunting with a revolver. For pure hunting I'd go with the revolver, but loading a Single Six is a lot more aggrevation than a auto, so I'd chose the Mark* for paper punching.

kcsteve

Single-Sixer
I am trying to decide between a Mark something and a Singlesix Hunter. I currently have an older model, full lug SP101 22 that I enjoy and that is a great match for my SP101 4.2 357. Problem is, I can no longer see the sights well enough to be satisfied with the targets I shoot. My thinking is I need either a scope or dot type sight. That handy little SP cannot be easily fitted with either. I have a red dot on my 44 S&W that I am happy with. I mostly just punch paper, although I used to shoot a few squirrels and groundhogs with a SS Hunter and a Mk II target that i had years ago.
I would be interested in thoughts of pluses and minuses, or other options.
Thanks
Bfly
No brainer. Buy both. You will never regret it.
Steel guns go up in value. Plastic guns, not so much.
I bought a Python at a gun show years ago for $200. I grin every time I look at it.

No brainer. Buy both. You will never regret it.

...have you seen what they are getting for a S-S Hunter these days...$850-1200....

..and I do have not only both, but all three of the MKIII Hunter models in 4.5, 5.5 and 6 7/8" barrels...

For paperpunching I would go with one of MKs... I like the clean lines of the MKIII but some like the ease of cleaning of the MKIV.

If you are going to put a scope or dot sight on it and don't need the longer sight radius then get one of the 4.5-5.5" guns as the balance is better. All the models are D&T for a scope mount that comes with most models...

Bob

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
I think a MK .22 actually points better than a revolver so it lends itself to a dot better. But that said I am a little biased towards a semi auto. I am 65 and luckily with the help of contacts still shoot irons. But when I go to my eye doctor I tell him the most important thing about my vision is being able to shoot. He adjusts my vision to that. Have you tried working with your eye doctor with that in mind.

Did the OP ever get one or the other? Both maybe?? :D

I'd opt for the "Mark something". My preference has always been for the Standard or MK I.

But if you want to go all out you can always get a stainless MK IV Target with a Holosun. ;)

02041F54-E2BC-4ECA-9829-1156F2BD8245.jpeg