MO 'alternative methods' begins 12/25

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I guess I'd misread the date numerous times but just verified.
With most of us here still feeling the effects of _ _ _ _ _ and trying to catch up on what got postponed over the past 3 weeks of said illness, I hope the local processor will help me out to get a bunch of deer reduced to freezer meat. Considering the usage and freezer levels, we're looking for 6-8 deer(no butt shots, no bambi sized, and no shoulder shots if possible).
GrandDaughter has appropriated my new 6.8SPC AR pistol but she's a fair weather hunter so I may get that back if/when the weather turns colder. I can manage with the tried and proven 10.5" .223 but was hoping to test run the new 6.8.
Maybe the use of these tools defeats the idea of 'alternative methods' but all are within the letter of law and not any different than the 'straight walled cartridges' being used in some states to circumvent the 'no rifles' regulations.

contender

Ruger Guru
Good luck! I'm in a deer stand right now. Just missed a chance to kill a coyote this morning. Not enough light to see it in my sights good enough for a proper shot. If it's hung around about 5-10 more minutes,,,,, oh well.

The boys are working on some clean-up in preparation for a contractor coming Monday to dip out 1/4 mile of drainage ditch. Odd how trees can grow SOOO fast in places where they shouldn't. That dirt work is going to ruin several days hunting from one of our box blinds but opportunities for completing the work are running out.

Guess I was wrong about how much the digging would disturb the deer. Basically, 3 up and 3 down deer wise. In 25 minutes, I'm out of tags. Thinking about buying another tag in order to work on the over populated north farm. I have archery tags but things did not play out to use them this year.
Another high point of the evening was Son saw the big buck he'd been looking for, confirming the big boy had survived rifle season. We still have a deer house located within range of the primary travel route this buck is known to use. I'd like to see that work out.

I'm done. Filled my final tag this evening with a nice, fat doe. I'd shoot more but in their infinite wisdom, the MDC bunny cops have dictated that I may only fill 2 antlerless tags per county regardless of how many deer my crops feed. We farm in 2 counties so 4 antlerless and DONE.
I donated 1/3 of the meat I harvested to Share the Harvest. The remaining 2/3 will make up for the failed elk hunt.

Mobuck said:
I'm done. Filled my final tag this evening with a nice, fat doe. I'd shoot more but in their infinite wisdom, the MDC bunny cops have dictated that I may only fill 2 antlerless tags per county regardless of how many deer my crops feed. We farm in 2 counties so 4 antlerless and DONE.
I donated 1/3 of the meat I harvested to Share the Harvest. The remaining 2/3 will make up for the failed elk hunt.

I get 10 antlerless tags per year in GA, I have used one since 2016.

I took one buck and one doe this year, that will suffice for my wife and I.

Plus,I can hunt antlered in FL until late February.

Older Son had a good afternoon today. We both thought this was an excellent combination of weather and deer activity. He saw lots of does moving from the heavy cover on our north farm to the harvested corn field across the fence. A big mottle gray back coyote showed up and succumbed to a well placed 17HMR bullet. Half hour later the buck he'd been looking for simply walked up the trail and stopped @ 125 yards. That was good enough and the 6.8SPC AR pistol did it's job.
This was the first animal shot with this little gem so there was some question about actual performance on game. Granted, expansion and tissue damage was less than what we've seen from 16' barrels but 100% penetration with 1.5-2" holes through both lungs left both a good blood trail and prompt demise of the buck. Bigger than average 10 point with 17" spread and 10" G2's.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Please give us non Missouri people a brief synopsis of " Alternative Methods " ?

Alternative methods: most anything except cartridge loaded rifles or shotguns. Muzzle loader, handgun, archery, atlatl/spear, maybe even jump out of tree and stab them with a big knife. Handguns must meet the BATFE definition and be centerfire-You'd be surprised at what a 10.5" .223 will do.

Latest posts