Old Flat top

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I recently bought this 7 1/2" flat top from a member here simply because it called to me. At the time it had a brushed aluminum XR-3 grip frame that had gotten a widening of the trigger slot. This was due to the fact that that gun also wore an old model SBH trigger and hammer. It also wore a set of smooth black aftermarket grips as well. Between some spare parts that came in the deal and a good friend being willing to swap the SBH parts for original flat top parts the gun soon looked like what it would have looked like when it left the factory decades ago. Other than the normal wear on the left side of the muzzle the gun is in pretty darn nice shape for its age.
bW8tcMO.jpg

jwSmmvW.jpg

mWJT2M7.jpg

sixshot

Buckeye
Geez Robb, that's one dandy old flat top you got there. Glad you got it because you will appreciate it for the beauty that it is. Great find!

Dick

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
My 7.5" flattop .44 is in my top 3 favorite sixguns. Mine was a rescue job too - it had been drilled for a scope base, so I got it pretty reasonable. John Gallagher made the holes go away with a masterful tig job, polish, and reblue. While at it, I had him install a steel XR3-RED size gripframe and a steel ERH. It's accounted for several whitetails with handloaded 245 gr SWC-HPs, gas checked Thompson design bullets over a charge of 2400 or AA-9. It stays ready for hunting chores with this load at hand.