RMR on a Midframe Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm not one much for acronyms so I often get confused by some out there. Are you asking about a .22 magnum RF in a mid framed Blackhawk. (Please excuse my old school, non-texting type of thinking where initials for stuff isn't normal to me.)

contender

Ruger Guru
"Oh good, its not just me.

No clue what RMR is."

I once had a truly wise man tell me; "If you do not know something,, ask,, for only a fool will not admit they are un-informed." None of us know everything,, and we are always willing to learn.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I saw this post yesterday and didn't want to show my ignorance.... !!!

SO, what's RMR?

Glad I'm not the only one.....

J.

dwayne

Single-Sixer
I'd assume the OP is referencing the Trijicon RMR red dot sight. I have a couple of the 3 MOA versions on Freedom Arms revolvers using the Freedom Arms mount and, in my opinion, they are an excellent choice.

k2nd

Single-Sixer
RMR is a red dot sight from Trijicon.
https://www.trijicon.com/products/subcategory/trijicon-rmr

You should check jackweigand.com for a mount.

k2nd

I am having an old model 41 Blackhawk rebarreled and a special mount made for an RMR sight. The gun was Roy Fishpaws hunting revolver but he had a long rail mounted for a tube red dot that used holes drilled in the barrel and main frame thus the remodel.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok,, so now we know what the RMR may be. The wording of "RMR IN a Blackhawk" instead of ON a Blackhawk was adding to the confusion.

As noted,, if RMR is a red dot,, then many folks are now adding a red dot to Blackhawks. All it takes is a correct mount, and maybe a D&T.

NikA

Buckeye
I believe the source of the OP's question was that there don't appear to be optics mounts available for the midframe/flattop Blackhawks.

I searched a bit when the question was posted but could not come up with a solution. That said, the RMR mounts are pretty simple, I would guess one could be purchased for a standard Blackhawk and milled down to fit a flattop.

Rclark

Hunter
... then many folks are now adding a red dot to Blackhawks.
Ok... have to ask ... Why? Doesn't it make it hard to slap into and out off leather and then carry in the field? Doesn't open sights work just fine at 'short gun' distances? Seems like adding do-dads to a six-gun just defeat the purpose of a sixgun to begin with :) .

contender

Ruger Guru
Rclark. MANY handgun hunters use a single-action revolver for hunting,, (myself included,) and "short gun distances" are often a LOT further than you'd think. MANY handgunners shoot out to 100 yds (and further,) often. And aging eyes using a red dot helps hunt at greater distances, OR to actually see the target aiming point easier.

I took a special .45 Colt handgun to Colorado on an elk hunt in 2019. It was an "El Dorado" and I wanted to use it for my elk. My back-up was a Freedom Arms in 454 with a red dot. Followed by a "what the heck back-up, back-up Ruger Hunter in .41 mag with a scope. I was ready for anything out to around 200 yds.

I know many folks feel that 25 yds is the longest distance a handgun should be used. But remember,, silhouette shooters compete at 200 meters. Red dot's on a SA handgun do look a bit different,, but it also looks different on a DA handgun. But it works quite well, and especially if hunting,, a clean, one shot kill is desired. So adding an optic to help this is an ethical reason as well.

BTW; Come to my range & I'll take a Ruger SA handgun, open sights, 4-5/8" bbl, and shoot at 100 yds. Then I'll take a red dot topped one, and do the same. You will see a difference in group sizes.

In short, it's just another tool to be used to help a shooter. And different shooters have different needs.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Rclark said:
... Ok... have to ask ... Why?

Reading and logic will never make them seem like a great idea. Only when shooting a handgun so equipped will the light bulb come on.
I saw it written the other day that Iron sights ruled when Men were Men ,,,,, but died before their eyes gave out.
Red dots and mounts have ruled most of my recent purchases.

contender

Ruger Guru
"I could put a 4-12 Leupold on my grandpa's 1886 Winchester too but I ain't gonna do it."

I fully understand,, but I'd bet good money somebody has done it.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the replies gentlemen!

k2nd said:
RMR is a red dot sight from Trijicon.
https://www.trijicon.com/products/subcategory/trijicon-rmr

You should check jackweigand.com for a mount.

k2nd

Thanks for the RMR clarification. Ruggedized Miniature Reflex

All their mounts have a "does not fit Blackhawk Flattop models" declaration.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
contender said:
Ok,, so now we know what the RMR may be. The wording of "RMR IN a Blackhawk" instead of ON a Blackhawk was adding to the confusion.

As noted,, if RMR is a red dot,, then many folks are now adding a red dot to Blackhawks. All it takes is a correct mount, and maybe a D&T.

Sorry for any confusion.
Title corrected.