RMR on a Midframe Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Rclark said:
... then many folks are now adding a red dot to Blackhawks.
Ok... have to ask ... Why? Doesn't it make it hard to slap into and out off leather and then carry in the field? Doesn't open sights work just fine at 'short gun' distances? Seems like adding do-dads to a six-gun just defeat the purpose of a sixgun to begin with :) .

Bifocals.

I'm no longer able to see open sights good enough for hunting. I put a RMR on my .22 pistol and the fun is back for squirrels, rabbits, vermin, etc. The goal is to resume handgun hunting for deer.

I'll tackle the leather thing once the piece is mounted. One thing at a time, lol.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
At this point, it looks like I'll be drilling / tapping / modifying which I have no problem with. This will also allow the sight to be mounted as low to the frame as possible.

You might be able to get something from Weigand to start with. I'd certainly contact them and discuss this with them. Couldn't hurt.

https://www.jackweigand.com/

Good luck. :D

contender

Ruger Guru
No problem on my lack of understanding. I teach folks; "If you don't know something,, ask." I didn't know what you meant,, and the confusion in how it was written helped confuse me. :D :D

And as noted; look at the weigand mounts before you drill & tap. Worst case,, you drill & tap a mount & not the gun,, maybe?

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
I have a mount for my regular Blackhawk that only uses the rear sight elevation screw. The sights are so light that you don't run a risk of shearing the bolt. You should be able to get away with any flat bottom mount and a single screw hole. If the single screw really bothers you I would suggest double sided tape to provide additional grip. The mount on my 41 mag has not moved even though it is held in place with only a one screw.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
contender said:
No problem on my lack of understanding. I teach folks; "If you don't know something,, ask." I didn't know what you meant,, and the confusion in how it was written helped confuse me. :D :D

And as noted; look at the weigand mounts before you drill & tap. Worst case,, you drill & tap a mount & not the gun,, maybe?

Lol, 38,000 posts but still can't use the google. Try "meaning rmr gun" next time. Beats obtuse everytime.

"Ruggedized Miniature Reflex Sight"
Improperly used by many to describe a large number of sights which aren't RMR, it's sort of become a descriptive for any/all of the small 'dot' sights.
As for the capabilities, I'll agree with Contender on the benefits of the concept.
Even with geezer eyes, I can put a 22 bullet on a saucer @100 yards with a dot sighted 4' barrel.
"Slapping in/out of leather" is not on my play list but I do have a couple of purpose built holsters for dot sighted handguns that don't slow the deployment of the gun at all.

thor's daddy

Bearcat
A bit late to this discussion, but I'll throw in with what I know. There's a company called Raptor Engineering that made a flattop-specific mount for the DeltaPoint, RMR, et al. They ceased production in the Fall of 2020 due to the fires in California at the time and have yet to start up again.
I certainly wish they would, or that another small producer would pick up the ball as there's definitely a need. I'm fairly surprised EWG doesn't make one.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
I e-mailed Weigands last week and got a prompt reply from Jack stating that they do not have a Flattop mount. He also gave no indication of one in the works.

Have searched the interwebs high and low with no success, so off to the drawing board.

470Evans

Bearcat
Here is the link to Raptor's website.

https://raptor-eng.com/

The update says "At this point it is unclear if we will resume operation."

That's a shame, I have one of their mounts on New Model Blackhawk and it works great.