Ammo Storage

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jimd441

Blackhawk
How / in what do you store your ammo?

I need to do something better than just stacking it in a couple of places.

Thanks,

Jim

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
jimd441 said:
How / in what do you store your ammo?

I need to do something better than just stacking it in a couple of places.

Thanks,

Jim

Some in this. Weighs about 50lbs full.

DgrCgB2.jpg

qaAWzYG.jpg

RSIno1

Hunter
I've got mine in old .mil ammo cans. Most are the 50 cal but some low quantity ones are in 30 cal cans. I've got my belted magnums in the hard to find "fat 50" cans. My shotgun shells are in one of the 20mm cans. Each caliber gets it's own box. But the 22LR is in 4 of the 30s since a full 50 one is far too heavy to drag around and holds far more than the grandson can blast off in a day. The ammo cans stack well. Find the real US made ones the ChiCom ones are thinner and the seals aren't as good. Harbor Freight has some plastic 30 ones that go on sale for about $3 - they are handy for taking some ammo to the range but not sure if I'd trust a stack of them with heavy ammo.

Hl0YKO4l.jpg

RSIno1

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
FWIW, I have found that the 20MM cans are VERY heavy when full of metal-cased centerfire ammo. They do provide good storage, though.

Yes - I grab a few boxes of 12ga out when going to shoot. The full can hasn't moved from it's spot under the bench in 20+ years. I'll probably have to empty it when we move.

hittman

Staff member
Remington Rand (WW2 surplus?) 4 drawer concrete lined file cabinet that locks. It's about 4 feet tall, 28 inches wide and 32 inches deep.

Those big 20mm ammo cans are great for storing empty gun boxes! Set the boxes on end and you can get half a dozen or more Ruger cardboard revolver boxes in there. Air and water tight .... no dust collects, no collapsed boxes from others sitting on top of them, etc.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Thanks all - it looks like mil surplus ammo cans are on my horizon

Jim

dannyd

Buckeye
These work great for Shotgun shells

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CNP4HMG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dannyd

Buckeye
These work great for a sub for mil spec ammunition cans

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051F905U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1