22/22m bearcat

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
One Just Like You Have Was At O. G. C. A. And They Had $2,000.00. On It. But No One Was Running Up And Getting Money Out. It Was MINT.

AzGeno

Single-Sixer
These are pretty rare and I think under valued. Serial numbers started at 93-00500. RENE has them at $1600, but a 2 or 3 digit, and LNIB should bring way more. Has the exact number of magnum cylinders that were returned to the factory really been verified?
It was a NM short run, then factory recalled, and will never be made again. I think LNIB $1850.

chet15

Hawkeye
AzGeno said:
These are pretty rare and I think under valued. Serial numbers started at 93-00500. RENE has them at $1600, but a 2 or 3 digit, and LNIB should bring way more. Has the exact number of magnum cylinders that were returned to the factory really been verified?
It was a NM short run, then factory recalled, and will never be made again. I think LNIB $1850.

The guns 93-00001 through 93-00499 weren't made until 1998, so there are no convertibles in that block.
Chet15

jimd441

Blackhawk
Can someone help educate me? Why were they recalled and why will they never be made again?

Thanks in advance fr the information,

Jim

The recall notice . . .

https://www.ruger.com/pdf/newBearcatConvertible.pdf

There have been other reasons rumored around the "gun press" concerning problems with the magnum cylinder's incompatibility with the magnum round as well as possible frame problems.

As mentioned above, those not returned to The Factory are now hugely collectible. :)

chet15

Hawkeye
jimd441 said:
Can someone help educate me? Why were they recalled and why will they never be made again?

Thanks in advance fr the information,

Jim

They were recalled because the Bearcat is the easiest to get "out of time". The smaller parts in the Bearcat make that happen, and when your "Cowboy" type does a quick draw, things happen to the internals. That also happened with the larger Single-Six believe it or not.
So throwing the Bearcat out of time let the Mag. shave lead and created other gases havoc.
Chet15

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The lightness of the Bearcat and recoil of the 22 Mag were not compatible, it was a matter of physics. Under recoil in such a light gun, internal springs and small parts moved when they shouldn't have causing the timing to be off. But the revolver actually had proper timing under normal recoil. That's why Ruger couldn't fix them and therefore just discontinued them.

There were similar problems with the S&W 44 Magnum revolvers once 300 gr bullets and very hot loads became popular, especially in guns with some mileage on them. Cylinders popped open, timing was affected, etc. But Smith couldn't just abandon their flagship gun, and their reputation was at stake. So they created an "Endurance Package" starting with the Mod 29-3E. Some small design changes were made: increasing spring tensions, enlarging cyl stop notches, adding a rear cyl bolt stop, etc., which fixed the problems.

Latest posts