Single 7 .327 BirdsHead

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
I don't think they are making the Single-Seven's right now.

As for suspension of making any single-actions,, I don't think it's totally shut down. I do know that only certain models enjoy a "dedicated" production line. But the big demand right now is for the semi-auto centerfires.
Throw in the issues with materials supply,, and the beer virus shut downs or cutbacks by the lack of employees,, it has made the manufacturing business a bit "interesting!"

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
There obviously making Wranglers...Hopefully by this time next year we'll be seeing other SA models on dealer shelves again 🤞

GarrettJ

Bearcat
Weren't the Single Sevens a distributor exclusive offering anyway? It seems any of these are typically a "limited edition" type of offering anyway, sometimes never to be made again. They're often reasonably priced when first released, but prices jump once production ends. Look at the Buckeye Blackhawk convertibles, for example.

NikA

Buckeye
They were exclusives, then I seem to remember the plow-handled models were regular production items, now it looks like they're back to being exclusives. At least they're still listed on the website.

contender

Ruger Guru
Just remember,, a distributor can have an exclusive,, get a bunch made,, and later on,, do a second,, third or more run of the same gun.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Unless you particularly want a fixed sight gun for some reason you may be happier getting a standard single seven and swapping it to a birdshead.
For me, true happiness with a 32mag/.327 requires adjustable sights.
Too many ammo variables to be happy with just one sight setting.

NikA

Buckeye
needsmostuff said:
Unless you particularly want a fixed sight gun for some reason you may be happier getting a standard single seven and swapping it to a birdshead.
For me, true happiness with a 32mag/.327 requires adjustable sights.
Too many ammo variables to be happy with just one sight setting.

This is exactly what I did, 2 or so years before the fixed-sight birdshead guns came out. Ruger even finished the grip frame fit for me when I had to send it in for a base pin issue.

lightfoot7

Bearcat
If I got a regular Single Seven what would I be looking at price wise to have it converted to the birdshead grips? Can I have the barrel cut down also?

contender

Ruger Guru
Expenses;
Cost of the initial gun. That would depend upon the deal you found.
A birdshead grip frame & grips, would be around $150,, depending upon what grips you choose.
Gunsmithing bill to cut the barrel. That depends upon who does it & how much work they have to do,, such as re-working the ejector rod housing etc.

But you can offset the expense some by selling the gripframe & grips off the initial gun.

The things you mentioned are easily done. Swapping gripframes & grips is done often & easily. Cutting a barrel isn't a hard job for most real gunsmiths. Re-working an ejector rod housing & all can be a bit trickier,, but still is done often.

Point being; If you want a birdshead gripped Single-Seven in .327,, and a shorter barrel than the short ones they offered,, it's not a hard or very expensive type of conversion.
However,, a very short barrel,, loses a lot of velocity & power if using .327 ammo. If it were my project,, I'd just find a .327 that is already the short barreled one,,(I think they offered it in 4-5/8") and just add the different gripframe & grips. Then sell the plow handle g/f & grips.

G2

Hunter
I REALLY like my Birdshead guns, all have been customized to my liking, I say do it!
Top-Bottom; Flattop 45C/ACP, Vaquero 45C/ACP, S7 327M, S6 22/Mag
Still on the fence, cut the flattop to 3.75", it is now 4.6". Cutting was the original plan, but now on the fence.
50286667097_45aeaf6ae9_c.jpg

I have a couple more in progress that are getting the "chop, cut, rebuilt".

Top gun is a NM Single Six that I rodeo'd for the Bisley Grip Frame
The leftovers are getting a OM Magnum Barrel cut to 3.75" with the "Sturm Ruger Co." turned to the side.
Dovetail front sight, like the bottom gun.
Brass Birdshead Gripframe w/ the black mikarta grips that are there, not fit yet.
Bisley Hammer
The fluted cylinder is 22lr and it gets a fluted Magnum Cylinder too.
My thinking here was I wanted a blued/brass gun in compact version.

Bottom gun is a OM, "WIN. .22 RF MAG CAL" gun that also received a companion 22 LR Cylinder.
Chopped from 6.5" to 3.75"
Brass Birdshead with "Sombrero" Trigger guard & gets a early well curved Trigger.
OM Bisley Hammer, My custom graft of NM top to OM bottom, looks just like the Single Six Bisley Hammer.
Dovetail Front Sight, original OM Rear drift sight.
It will get a combo Rust Blue, hand rubbed old time cowboy finish when done, Brass will be left to naturally patina.
Came across the Brass Birdshead/ Grips and decided to do a OM Cowboy Version. This build started out on my original WIN. .22 RF MAG CAL gun, but it's to good to chop, especially when I found a good donor.

Gun was aquired from member "Contender"(/\/\/\ above post) it was rough.
51750706756_5b389ac8aa_c.jpg

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
contender said:
However,, a very short barrel,, loses a lot of velocity & power if using .327 ammo. If it were my project,, I'd just find a .327 that is already the short barreled one,,(I think they offered it in 4-5/8") .

Yeah that ↑↑↑↑↑
Having had and shooting 327s for more that 10 years I hold the 4 5/8" to be a BARE MINIMUM for effective use of the 327.
Anything less becomes a flash /bang device better served by 32 mag. loadings. At 3 1/2" the ejector rods become pretty pointless also.
With a little practice grip frames become as easy to swap around as Mr. Potatohead's nose and you will know your revolver better after you do it.
YouTube can be your friend on that.
Also , many find they prefer to gently round the standard plough handle grip over the birdshead .
I know I do. It makes a nice halfway kind of grip.

G2

Hunter
Another option that you might want to consider is the BLUE 327M Bisley, these guns were 5.5" barrel, Bisley GF, Adjustable sights, they are Single SEVEN, 7 shot cylinder.

I always wanted a Keith #5 Grip Frame gun, this one is getting a RW #5 Brass Bisley, perty wood, 2 dogs front sight (slightly massaged)

51751484569_3dcafe443e_c.jpg

If you want Birdshead GF, RW can hook you up. Cutting the Barrel & ERH is easy, however the "lawyer warning" will look cut.
My suggestion; flat-side the barrel like the Wiley Clapp 45…. https://ruger.com/products/newModelSuperBlackhawkStandard/specSheets/0875.html

G2

Hunter
Don't forget the original in 32H&R Single Six Birdhead it had a 4.6" barrel, if you want it 3.75, easy cut. Don't let the 32H&R scare you away as you can load these up, plenty for what they are. Really not that far off the 327M.
These were high polish stainless, the 327M is brushed stainless.
51750909011_d235a7c9a0_c.jpg

lightfoot7

Bearcat
The barrel would be cut to from like 7.5 inches down to the factory specs on a Birdshead grip.

G2

Hunter
lightfoot7 said:
Wish I could find one for sale with the birdshead grip!

You can go fishing, and maybe catch one at a "reasonable price",,, but anybody in the know is going to want ~$1,200 +/- in this market.
FWIW, the 22/22M with black grips bring ~$1,300 and with the white grips ~$1,500.

Maybe your willing to pay this, might I suggest you offer up a Reward or Bounty up front. Doing this makes it easier for those to reach out when one knows just how serious you really are.

Latest posts