Ruger SR45 ejecting brass straight back

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldbrownhat

Bearcat
... often into my forehead instead of over my shoulder (!) Have had the slide completely apart and thoroughly cleaned and lightly lubed everything. As far as I can tell, the extractor looks OK, but clearly something is wrong. Has anyone had a similar problem? I've heard of "tweaking" 1911 extractors; is this possible on an SR45 or should I just order a new one?

The gun was bought used a few years ago and has occas. been a bit "iffy", but I really like it. I have an SR9 as well and it has been trouble-free.

jgt

Buckeye
That sounds like the ejector, not the extractor. If it were mine I would take it to a gunsmith that know what he is doing and have him reshape the ejector. He will need to angle the front and take a little off the right side to get it to eject higher and to the right.

blammer

Single-Sixer
jgt has ultimate answer, though you might call Ruger first to see what they say or will do.

Only questions/suggestions I would have if you (like me) like to tinker with it a little first would be:

how many rounds through the gun? (wearing during breakin might ease it)
same or different ammo? (might try another brand, bullet size just to see if behavior changes)
Might be a recoil spring weight issue.

It happens, though guns are not designed to do that.

oldbrownhat

Bearcat
igt- Yes, you may be right, it could be the ejector. The extractor just pulls traight back; the ejector is responsible for canting the round out at an angle. The ejector does look little worn.

No idea how mny rounds through the gun. A previous owner installed some Galloway Precision parts and an Apex trigger bar. I hadn't shot the gun for some time (since I was originally having striker reset issues- now seemingly resolved.) I handload the same for the SR45 as for my STI Spartan, 200 gr. RNFP with 5.7 gr. W231. I do have part of a box of Federal Eagle 230 gr RN I could try. The different bullet weight will have an effect on the slide momentum.

Calling Ruger is a bit of a problem as I am in Canada and they will probably suggest I call the repair depot, who will likely just tell me to ship it to them- not a simple thing up here like it is south of 49! Initially it may be simplest just to order a new ejector (and extractor?), which won't be expensive, although it could take time as the Cdn. repair depot may well not have the part in stock.

blammer

Single-Sixer
OP: Bummer on the Canada complication. Can you at least get parts shipped by Ruger or others (Brownells)? Ruger doesn't like shipping certain parts as they need to install them to ensure they are safe. Maybe you could explain your situation.

On the SR45, is the ejector a straight piece of metal? Can it be (verry carefully) bent?

oldbrownhat

Bearcat
blammer said:
OP: Bummer on the Canada complication. Can you at least get parts shipped by Ruger or others (Brownells)? Ruger doesn't like shipping certain parts as they need to install them to ensure they are safe. Maybe you could explain your situation.

On the SR45, is the ejector a straight piece of metal? Can it be (verry carefully) bent?
My best bet is probably to call Ruger first of all on how to proceed. I was hoping someone here had had the same problem on an SR-series and might have some first-hand experience with rectifying it.

I don't think Brownell's carries that part. I have an alternate US address across the line so shipping CONUS isn't a problem unless it contravenes some ITAR reg. I think importing the part is not a problem from our side.

The ejector is basically a piece of sheet metal with a bend in it and yes, it can probebly be bent but "I'm not going there" (as I did with the trigger bar ass'y to fix another problem) unless I know what I'm doing! I was just looking at the ejector as well as the one on my SR9 to see if I could gain any insight into what may be amiss but came up with nothing. As "jgt" suggested, it may be a matter of some gentle reshaping of the part but probaly a lot simpler and cheaper to just replace it outright.

blammer

Single-Sixer
Try Numrich: They had a factory original sr45 ejector in stock,

Product #: 1641230
Part Key: 42
$7.29

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/ruger/auto-pistols-ruger/sr45