LCP Max - slide locking before mag empty

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gunslinger_56

Bearcat
Hi, Folks: Bought an LCP Max last weekend for the wife. We were able to fire a rental one at the range first - no problems, pleased with feel and accuracy. Bought one. Basic disassembly, cleaned, lightly oiled (first Ruger pistol, but I have a bunch of other semi-autos in all kinds all the typical calibers (except .380...!)). Anyway, got it to the range today - shooting basic Remington UMC FMJ 95 gr. Shoots fine for me - when the wife shoots, she will get the slide locking back after every other round or so quite often. Not every time, but very often. Same magazine used by both of us (the 10-rounder) - loading 5 cartridges at a time. Weirdest thing - massively frustrating for her - she does not trust the pistol now...

Anyone have anu ideas what might be going on? Her grip of the gun seems good - she shoots pretty consistently left of center, but that is her. At 7 yards, they all fit in a 3-inch circle at point of aim for me. She does not seem to have anything wrong wrist-wise.

Ideas/suggestions appreciated!

midwayhey

Bearcat
I'm currently having the same issue with my LC9s. The first 400 or so rounds went fine, now the slide keeps locking back.

I have tried all sorts of grips, all sorts of ammo, multiple magazines, and I had a friend shoot it as well.

Hope you figure it out, if you do, PM me please! I'm going to contact their customer service.

Gunslinger_56

Bearcat
Will let you know if I figure anything out. Just received two additional mags and bought some Winchester FMJs as well as some Hornandy Critical Defense FTX rounds (for "home" defense"). Will see if we see any different results with those this weekend...

mbacan18

Bearcat
Same thing happened to me yesterday.Slide would lock back after either 2, 4 or 4 shots - every time.
I would reset the slide, then again slide would lock back w/ 2 or 3 shots.
I tried loading the mags w/ less cartridges - no help.
I have ruled out that a mag of specific ammo is the cause:
I used 3 different mags, including the Ruger 12 round
I also used different ammo: Federal / Americal Eagle and Fiocchi
I also made sure that i was not hitting the slide lock.
Also tried my LCP II, no problems at all.
Very frustrating.

RSIno1

Hunter
Gunslinger_56 said:
LCP Max ...... Shoots fine for me - when the wife shoots, she will get the slide locking back after every other round or so quite often.
I wonder if she's not resisting the recoil as much as you are - or more? It has to be something shooter related since it works fine for one but not the other. The rental gun would have had far more rounds through it so maybe yours needs a longer break-in period.

hittman

Staff member
I used to give many guns the benefit of doubt saying they need a 100 to 300 round break in period.

But every LC series Ruger I owned was a total turd.

Oddly enough …. My G17, 19x and 43 went straight from the box to shooting hundreds of rounds with never a hiccup. Never. Ever.

I believe now "break in period" is more brand specific. You get what you pay for.

mbacan18

Bearcat
Update: Ruger cannot duplicate issue. This is very confusing. At the time I found this out, I also took my LCP II and it fired flawlessly every time. I hold and shoot both guns the same way and the footprint is the same.

I wonder if this has something to do w/ it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFyIKFeOzbY

mbacan18

Bearcat
I will be sending the above video to Ruger. I am very concerned for people's safety, relating to this issue. This problem could cause someone to lose their life.

Thoughts of me sending Ruger this thread? So they see I'm not the only one?

hittman

Staff member
I'm sure Ruger already knows more about it than you or I or that one You Tube guy with 48 subscribers.

Waste of your time and effort.

mbacan18

Bearcat
Hi all, just a quick update. Very dissapoited in Ruger, will never buy a Ruger again.

I sent them videos of the pre-mature slick lock and they responded w/ nothing that makes sense - they were just fishing w/ no details. The issue is you really have to grip the pistol VERY tightly - it is a major design flaw and, in my opinion, a major design flaw that could cost someone's life!

Latest posts