Ruger Hawkeye 256 Win Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Walter,, you are correct. Handloading is the only way to get shootable ammo nowadays for a Hawkeye. Actual factory ammo is quite expensive,, (collectable,) so many of us who do shoot our Hawks,, make our own.
Some folks have been able to use normal dies to form cases from 357 Mag brass,, but more often,, you destroy about as much as you get good brass. A set of case forming dies are the best route. I was able to score a set of Corbin forming dies several years ago,, for a measly $50. Works like a charm!
Another thing,, is it's best to anneal the case necks for handloading,, to assure good case life. I studied several methods of annealing,, as well as the various machines sold for annealing. Since my primary reason was for my .256 ammo,, I chose the route of building my own annealer machine,, for under $100. There is/was a video on you-boob on how to do it for under $100. I was able to scrounge some stuff for free,, and my annealer cost me about $68 & my time. Mine isn't an "autofeed" type,, as I put in one round at a time. But it's an automated type,, that rotates the case around the flame of a torch, and has been quite good. I also annealed a bunch of 223 brass for a friend. He gave me some 2400 powder for my efforts.
For me, the biggest issue has been to assure a good supply of the bullets. Hornady makes the 60 grn bullets,, but in general,, (read; before the shortages,) only makes a run of them once a year. I keep a standing order with a supplier to buy some. I did luck up once,, at a gun show,, a guy had 7 boxes of them,, all showing the age of being carried to many shows & not sold. I made him an offer,, on all of them,, and scored them for $50.

The Hawkeye is a very fun & unique handgun. Being a single-shot,, well, many find it to be a niche group of folks who appreciate that. The T/C Contender is more popular,, but it has a lot more versatility. And it still only enjoys a modest popularity. But it sure is fun to get one out & let others se AND try one. That Hawkeye has let several folks enjoy shooting it.

Walter Rego

Single-Sixer
Contender, I bought fully formed .256 Win Mag brass from a company called Jamison. Midway shows it as discontinued but other suppliers list it as backordered. You may be able to find some if you look around. I load it with standard Redding dies, 2400 powder and Hornady 60 gr. flatpoint bullets.
I understand that it can be formed by necking up and fireforming .22 Jet brass as well and that may be easier than necking down .357.

I thought about buying a set of forming dies to make brass from .357 Magnum cases but the full set of forming and trimming dies was pretty expensive and then there is the annealing step. I think the Redding dies were less than $75 and you load the Jamison brass just like any bottleneck cartridge.

I have a new in the box Bushnell Phantom 2.5X scope and Hawkeye mounting base that I have toyed with mounting to my Hawkeye just to have a vintage combination but the scope with the 7/8" tube and critical eye relief is nowhere near as good as a modern pistol scope so I just shoot it with the iron sights.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
It's true that Ruger only offered the Hawkeye in .256. However, gun shops had so much trouble selling them, several were custom rechamered and rebarrelled to other cartridges when still brand new guns. Those show up occasionally. Only a little over 300 were ever made for about a year and a half in the 1961-62 period.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
That is a re-barreled Hawkeye..........see the hawkbill front sight on a non taper barrel. I have a Griffin and Howe modified 22 Hornet Hawkeye.........Heard from one of our regulars that he was contemplating a 357 Max on a donor Hawkeye.......over the years, some 53 of these girls have passed thru my gates.........The remainders guard my RSSE dance team, and are fast movers with the 10" rascals.

Latest posts