I haven’t seen this mentioned here . . . suppressed 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The Ruger® Silent-SR® ISB reduces sound pressure levels of .22 LR to an average of 113.2 dB with standard velocity ammunition. It features best-in-class materials and an advanced design, resulting in a lightweight, compact size and top-tier sound reduction. This integrally suppressed barrel is easy to disassemble, features a clean, but distinctive appearance, and is compatible with 10/22 Takedown® rifles and 22 Charger™ Takedown pistols. NFA rules apply.

Got email from Ruger yesterday with photos of a 10/22 takedown with integral suppressor. I clicked on the link and even downloaded the .pdf instructions.

I'm still a bit unsure how they are going to sell this? It seems like it is being sold strictly as a separate barrel? In my case, I've never gotten around to buying a takedown 10/22. It would be sort of a waste to buy one, removed the factory barrel, put on the suppressed one... and literally never mount the standard barrel again. I would prefer to just buy a takedown model with the suppressor barrel as the only one. Anybody know if they will be doing that?

And of course, there will be all the usual problems with the NFA stamp taking a year... I would really like one of these but actually finding a way to sell these in a streamlined way is going to be the problem. I would like to be able to just order one from Online Shop XXXX, send them my money and information, they file whatever has to be filed, then a year later I get a notice that they are shipping to my local authorized dealer?

NikA

Buckeye
Ruger has been selling rimfire suppressors for several years now. https://ruger.com/micros/silent-sr/index.html

No idea if you can buy this as a full kit instead of just a barrel. Competing products are available that way. I think it may be possible to buy a receiver that is compatible with TD barrels and build one from scratch. Disposing of non-MG NFA items is a PITA, so maybe it makes sense to keep the original TD barrel in case you someday want to sell.

If you want someone else to handle the paperwork, I strongly suggest shopping at SilencerShop. Maybe take a look at Silencer Central as well, I think they have a similar service albeit less developed.

NikA

Buckeye
Kevin said:
And the NFA rules apply, so you have to do the background check as if you were buying a suppressor?

It's a barrel with an integral suppressor, so yes.

The benefit of this over a removable suppressor is typically in its ability to keep standard ammunition below the speed of sound without needing a second tax stamp for a short barrel.

I suspect NFA protocols are not a huge hindrance to many folks that are interested in suppressed firearms. It's just a requirement to indulge in their sport. Agree or not, it's the only choice. At the range, nearly every visit, somebody is shooting a suppressed firearm. Tells me the suppressor market is huge.

Nearly every gun I've advertised over the last few years, the first question from a potential buyer is, "is the barrel threaded?"

RSIno1

Hunter
I'm out. About $1400 for a take down 10-22, the barrel, a tax stamp and then add tax, shipping and FFL fees and you're $1,700-1,800 for a plinker.

From my experience you have to buy the suppressed barrel before you even apply for the tax stamp. and if you don't pass the back ground check for any reason, and they don't have to give you a reason, then you get to ask for your money back, I guess....

BATFTE still has my $200 from 2011.

I have a good friend that has one of the original 10/22's with a suppressed barrel... not nearly as ugly as this new thing. It is awesome ... you pull the trigger and hear the bolt chamber a round and a second or so later hear a 'wack' when the round hits. Rumor has it they were sold to the Israelis for crowd / riot control. Pick out the leaders and shoot them in the knee.

The integrally suppressed barrel would have to be serial numbered if sold separately.
Yes, the suppressor's serial number would have to be included in the Form 4 NFA stamp application so the unit would have to be purchased prior to making application--same as any other suppressor. Not sure how long the wait is currently but it's been more than 8 months and still waiting on the last one I submitted.
I'm not much interested in the 10-22 Silent-SR since it's a 'one gun' setup. Since rimfire suppressors are fairly compact, the advantages of an integrally suppressed 10-22 may or may not be worth the cost.

Mobuck said:
I'm not much interested in the 10-22 Silent-SR since it's a 'one gun' setup. Since rimfire suppressors are fairly compact, the advantages of an integrally suppressed 10-22 may or may not be worth the cost.

Actually, it's a 2-gun setup- compatible with 10/22 and Charger models. All suppressors can be registered to no more than 2 firearms.

NikA

Buckeye
Mobuck said:
The advantages of an integrally suppressed 10-22 may or may not be worth the cost.
Based on the test numbers I read today after researching it a bit more, I'd say the Ruger SR-ISB is pretty run-of-the-mill as .22 cans go. I think you'd be safe to spend you money elsewhere.

kentuckyyeti said:
All suppressors can be registered to no more than 2 firearms.
No idea where this statement comes from: a suppressor IS a firearm, and it can only have one registered caliber and length. There are no restrictions to my knowledge what number of firearms it can go on, which is why many in the suppressor game buy the largest caliber suppressor that they think they might want and accessories like end caps to get slightly better sub-caliber performance.

NikA said:
kentuckyyeti said:
All suppressors can be registered to no more than 2 firearms.
No idea where this statement comes from: a suppressor IS a firearm, and it can only have one registered caliber and length. There are no restrictions to my knowledge what number of firearms it can go on, which is why many in the suppressor game buy the largest caliber suppressor that they think they might want and accessories like end caps to get slightly better sub-caliber performance.

That statement came straight out of the mouth of an ATF agent at a local gun show two years ago. He was speaking at the show at the suppressor booth and said that a suppressor had to be registered to a firearm, and paperwork could be submitted to add a second firearm. I remember him emphatically saying that if you were caught with a legally purchased suppressor on a 3rd firearm that there was no paperwork for, it could be prison time. I've never owned one, so if I'm wrong- I apologize. But that is what the guy that can make your life miserable told everyone at the booth.

NikA

Buckeye
ATF agents are notoriously eager to give their opinion whether it is correct or not. Nowhere on the Form 1 or 4 paperwork nor in the instructions does anything appear about associating a suppressor with a particular firearm.

This may be a misinterpretation of the rules around having multiple uppers for a SBR registered lower, but even in that case (1) the form letter informing the ATF is more a CYA than a legal requirement and (2) I have never seen a written rule expressing a limit on the number of allowed configurations (i.e., uppers).

Sadly, anything not in writing from the ATF and its representatives is basically garbage, and even their written opinions are questionable. If you didn't know, neither holds the legal weight necessary to keep you out of jail should you end up in court.

I have seen ABSOLUTELY nothing supporting this comment about a suppressor being "registered" to a specific firearm. None of the stamping process says anything about what the suppressor will be mounted on.

9x19

Hunter
kentuckyyeti said:
NikA said:
That statement came straight out of the mouth of an ATF agent at a local gun show two years ago. He was speaking at the show at the suppressor booth and said that a suppressor had to be registered to a firearm, and paperwork could be submitted to add a second firearm....

^^'C' students graduate and get jobs too.^^