How to hide human scent while hunt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rogerthat

Banned / Scammer
a lot of people say it is impossible why some say it is. please i will appreciate your comment of your personal experiences, is it really possible? if so then how can one hide his scent while hunting?

contender

Ruger Guru
Truly hiding any scent is darn near impossible. Human scent is easily detected by most animals, while we humans can rarely ever detect much with our noses.
That said,, you can mitigate your scent to where it's less noticeable or offensive to critters.

Having hunted most of my life, and having taken quite a few deer,, you can do things to HELP you be less offensive to a deer.

BO. Bathe, using unscented soaps, & keeping your clothes away from odors helps a lot.
Low activity to where sweating doesn't occur,, causing a lot more scent to be left by you.
Using cover scents to mask odors,, can help.
But the best thing is to understand wind & deer patterns to where you hunt an area in a manner to avoid much of your scent from going in the direction a deer will use.
Example; Western hunting,, where wide open places are normal,, Get high early,, BEFORE the sun comes up. As the sun comes up,, it warms things & thermals rise from below going uphill. Likewise,, hunt low in the evenings, as things cool off,, thermals settle lower. BUT,, if the wind is blowing,, you have to use that knowledge as well.

There is a lot to understanding scent, wind, thermals, hunting directions, animal patterns, etc. Just understand that no matter what,, do all you can to avoid allowing your scent to blow in the direction critters may come. And if you do have that happening,, doing things to reduce your scent can be very beneficial.

By understand this,, I've been able to stalk within 1-15 ft of deer,, and I've also had them bust me well over 100 yds away.

I guess the best info I can offer,, is that there is no sure fire 100% guaranteed method that will prevent a critter from catching your scent. BUT,, you can reduce the chances a lot.

contender

Ruger Guru
"In my experience , you will be heard or seen long before they smell you."

That can be very true in the wide open western areas. But in these densely wooded mountains,,, of WNC,, not always true. Especially with all our valleys & hills,, winds swirling, etc.

langenc

Single-Sixer
My son has a 40 A estate and a couple deer blinds. Lately he takes his hunting clothes and hangs em in the deer blind when not wearing them. Says it acustumes the deer to his/the scent??

I've heard both sides and have my own ideas. Totally wild animals living in wilderness are more likely to just leave the area immediately upon catching human scent. On the other hand, many farmland animals are less inclined to do this. This isn't saying that a wise old buck or doe knows to move away but often only far enough to re-assess the situation before finding another path. I've seen wise old deer cross downwind of an unoccupied enclosed blind after doing a 'sniff test' but turn back and take another trail if the stand is occupied. This is why I often leave an old shirt or socks in a blind when I set it or leave a pair of gloves when I go home. Once they get acclimated to the scent, they're not as skittish when I'm in the stand. Heck, I've seen some good sized bucks walk right up to a piece of farm equipment that we'd left only hours before and pickups left in the field for only a few hours.
I just try to set up in a spot where I can watch downwind and be able to take a shot in that direction quickly while the deer is trying to locate me.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
contender said:
"In my experience , you will be heard or seen long before they smell you."

That can be very true in the wide open western areas. But in these densely wooded mountains,,, of WNC,, not always true. Especially with all our valleys & hills,, winds swirling, etc.
True. Around here 100 yards is a close shot.

Terry_P

Bearcat
I have a few different tree stands on my property and I chose based on wind direction. If they come in down wind then sometimes they don't catch my scent up high. If they do then get you next time.