what do I need?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
I have found this deer season that my eyes aren't what they used to be, missed three deer this morning. I have great distance vision but can't see close up. I either have blurry sites and see the deer or wear my reading glasses to see my sites but have blurry deer, it's a no win. I have a model 54 Sears made by Winchester and it takes a side mount. What do I need to get it up and shooting with a scope? I don't know anything about side mounts, all the screws are gone from the gun, so the mounts will need to have them. Thanks for any help.

contender

Ruger Guru
A good scope can be adjusted for your eyes,, to allow a clear picture. And I always suggest keeping a scope on a lower power. If a distance shot is presented,, you'll usually have more time to adjust the magnification up,, but if a deer is near,, not always an easy thing to change.
I wear progressive bifocals and I don't use my glasses when I'm using my binoculars,, or a scope. Already pre-adjusted.

Get a weaver mount,, and most often,, they do come with screws.

As far as I know, Weaver is the only game in town for a 'side mount' base and rings. Even then, finding the parts may be problematic since that type is nearly obsolete. As Contender noted, new bases should come with screws but use a bit of caution as an older rifle such as this may have non-standard threads.
Begin with either a trip to a reliable gunsmith or at least a thorough internet search. You might find just what you need with a simple search on ebay.
You don't need a high magnification or overly expensive scope for your hunting rifle. I heartily recommend the VORTEX Crossfire line in either 2-7x32 or 3-9x40 for your use. Those are in the $125-150 range, have a lifetime no questions warranty, and are very user friendly.
Since it seems you're not experienced with using a riflescope, it will take some getting used to in order to consistently get a good sight picture through the scope but that's only a matter of practicing mounting the rifle and having your eye aligned with the center of the scope.
Lots of folks on here who can provide support and advice.

wwb

Hunter
About a lifetime ago, my Dad had a 94 Winchester and as he aged, encountered the same problem. His solution, suggested by a gunsmith friend, was to mount an extended eye relief scope (a 2X Leupold M8 if I recall). It used the rear sight dovetail for one mount, and had the barrel tapped for the front mount.