Question on M1 Carbine vintage ammo/magazines

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hello, all-

I have an ammo can w/a bunch of M1 Carbine mags, and some ammo.

The goodies were free to me, many years ago.

I plan to give most or all of it to a friend who just bought an M1 Carbine.
(I don't have an M1, nor does the idea hold much interest for me.)

I have a couple of questions, before I give away my treasures…

1) I have 20-30 rounds headstamped "W R A" and "52." Primers are definitely crimped or staked in place. His Carbine was made by Winchester. Is there any potential collector value to this ammo, or is it just a nice "brand-correct" keepsake?

2) I have about a dozen mags. Most are shiny (blued?), one appears to be parkerized. The shiny ones are scratched, with some surface rust, certainly not pristine. They have a two- or three-digit code (don't remember) stamped on the rear face. Might there be any collector value to these mags (i.e. certain codes), or are they just good shooters?

As you can see, I have little or no knowledge about these accessories. The milsurp guns, even American ones, don't hold a great deal of interest to me. Just not my "thing," I guess.

Thanks, in advance!

RSIno1

Hunter
People with these prefer to find NOS for collectable items. They made millions of them so having a scratched up original is normal. My dad worked at Saginaw Steering Gear and did a lot of the tooling to build the guns. I drug a SSG one home and be berated me for buying such a lousy excuse for a gun. He didn't think much of them. I sold it but have picked up a few NOS SSG parts in their original bags just to have them. He liked the BARs they built a lot better (finer machine work and a better caliber).

SWR

Single-Sixer
All your info can be found here https://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Make a post with all your info and see what they have to say

To each individual, "collectible" is defined as "how much am I willing to pay for it".

Some only "collect" the pristine, never fired or cycled, LNIB specimens and will pay whatever it takes to get it. They have really impressive collections and serve to preserve such items for the posterity of our hobby. As a side benefit, these collections can serve as a pretty fun way to preserve a little wealth.

The rest of us "accumulate" things we find interesting as they fit into our discretionary funds situation, with an eye to upgrading to something a little nicer as the opportunity presents itself. The challenge is in the finding of something "nice" that fits our budget, but ya gotta start somewhere.

Both approaches are represented here, and the Classified subforum can reveal a little of how the "market" is running at any time.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

SWR said:
All your info can be found here https://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Make a post with all your info and see what they have to say

Thanks to all of you.

RSIno1, great point about millions made and NOS for collections.

SWR, I'm vaguely familiar with the CMP Forums, but nothing prepared me for the amount of info I was going to find there! :shock: That place looks like the mother of all rabbit holes… You are correct re: all the info being available there. I clicked on the M1 carbine page, and started reading "Stickies." Lots of info on the first page… and 570 more pages, after that! :p

Ale-8(1), you really described collectors to a "T." I even saw myself in your description.

I've got this stuff all boxed up, and the whole works is going to my buddy. ASAP.
I am NOT going to get sucked in…

My Ruger affliction is bad enough!