It shouldn't be surprising BUT

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm guessing this is something many hunters don't consider when 'sighting in' their rifles.
I've seen many shooters zero their rifles by resting the fore end on a sandbag and using the 'off hand' to adjust/manipulate another bag under the stock toe. I do this often except with the 'hard kickers'.
Here's what I found over the past few years of using the 25/06: Zeroing from the bench 3" high @ 100 yards is supposed to put the 300 yard drop around 6-7". Actual 'field position' shooting using a BogPod and holding firm down pressure on the fore end makes a BIG difference. With the added down pressure on the fore end, the true 300 yard drop is 13" or about what one would expect from a dead on 100 yard zero.
Back in the day when I was shooting a 300 Win mag target rifle, this was a big issue although a rifle with a 6# barrel does moderate the effect somewhat.

My .308 is sighted in for 3" high at 100 yds. So last Sunday my SIL and fiend came over to shoot handguns. I broke out my Ruger 77/44(open sights), and Rem 788(scoped) in .308. Fired off hand at 25 yds. 4 shots each. All within 2-3 inches of center. The last two deer I shot were at 17, and 28 yds. I should be good to go!
gramps

A.J.

Single-Sixer
gramps said:
My .308 is sighted in for 3" high at 100 yds. So last Sunday my SIL and fiend came over to shoot handguns. I broke out my Ruger 77/44(open sights), and Rem 788(scoped) in .308. Fired off hand at 25 yds. 4 shots each. All within 2-3 inches of center. The last two deer I shot were at 17, and 28 yds. I should be good to go!
gramps

Good info. I intend to use a smooth bore slug. Even I could score a kill shot at 17 and 28 yards! I plan on sighting in this bad boy this weekend.

Latest posts