224 Valkyrie 90 grain Fusion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I couldn't resist a 'sale' on this ammo a while back(really was a good price at today's inflated ammo prices). Ran a few shots downrange yesterday morning to see if it was worthwhile.
Accuracy from a Palmetto State 1 in 7 twist upper was in the OK category (not as good as 60 grain Nosler BT). This barrel is fairly new so that may have skewed the results a little but 1.5" @ 100 yards is certainly adequate for a 200-250 yard deer rifle. Surprisingly, the numbers on the box show this round carries 1050 foot pounds of energy @ 200 yards and almost 900 @ 300. Well within the criteria for deer sized game.
I ran out of time before getting to shoot some water filled 2.5 gallon triple rinsed chemical jugs. These are tougher than milk jugs and create more resistance causing more expansion and less penetration. I don't doubt that the FUSION bullet is satisfactory but do intend to check anyway.
What I did notice is the lack of recoil. This is a full sized AR with an HBAR barrel profile so it's in the 8.5# range but just no really noticeable recoil. I've shot quite a bit of 243 Win with 85-90 grain bullets in an 8.5# bolt action and while it's not much, there is 'some' recoil involved. One wouldn't think that an increase of 200FPS with a 0.020" bore increase would really make much difference and some of the diff might involve the gas op vs bolt action but still, it's something to consider if you have recoil sensitivity issues.

The little bullet isn't short on penetration @ 100 yards. Made 12-14" through water filled jugs w/o appreciable loss of weight. Frontal 1/2 expanded and folded back over rear shank.
During initial 6" of penetration, expansion looked good but tail end of bullet path was fairly unimpressive. Would probably exit ribcage of small/medium sized deer but exit wound would not be very big.

I'm a bit tardy on the update on actual field use of this ammo due to illness and such.
The only results I can relate were from a single broadside shot on an average sized doe @ 200-225 yards. Full penetration with reasonable tissue damage to the lungs. A 75 yard death run which I consider good enough under most conditions. Entry wound was typical of such a small diameter bullet(maybe 1/2"). Exit centered a rib and left a 1" or better hole in the cavity and a 2" hole in the skin. Overall, I'd call this round capable of taking meat deer under most scenarios but I would not count on it for big bucks in heavy cover.
Hey, it's not a 30/06 but I intend to use it as a meat deer collection tool that gets the job done with a minimum of splattered, blood shot meat.

Stolivar

Bearcat
MoBuck. Had almost identical results on my deer with the 90 fusions. I run a 1/6.5 on mine and get under an inch at 100.

Steve

Latest posts