Older 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
My dad had a pretty nice collection of guns. He passed away earlier this year and now Mom doesn't want to keep the guns around, so I'm helping her sell most of them.

He had a 10/22 that he bought new and fired little, so it's in excellent condition. Serial number points to 1974 manufacture. It has a metal butt plate, trigger guard, and barrel band. I think the stock is walnut. I don't know this for certain, but if it's birch wood, it has the best looking grain of any birch I've seen. There are two magazines, and they seem to have more metal in them than later examples. I have the original cardboard box, but its condition is only fair.

Does an earlier production gun like this command a premium price, compared to more recent versions? Most of the collection is going to a pawn shop to be sold on consignment. I think we'll get fair prices, because we can set a minimum, and the shop only takes 10% for their fee. It's worth this much to us for the convenience of having them handle all the transactions. But I might sell a few of the more interesting guns myself, so I can target collectors/enthusiasts and ask a higher price than the pawn shop will likely get. If you think the 22 is only worth slightly more than a recent production example, I'll send it with the rest. If you feel this would be a mistake and I ought to find someone who will appreciate it more, say so.

Thank you for your advice.

I wouldn't sell that one at the Pawn Shop, i think it is worth more than a current production wood stock 10/22 because of the metal parts and bluing rather than painted finish. And IF the stock IS walnut, it is definitely worth more to someone who appreciates the older 10/22 rifles being just plain nicer overall!

WALNUT AND BLUED should always be preferred….

Good luck….and my condolences on the loss of your Dad….

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
golferboy426 said:
you'll get more here for SURE. It's easy all you have to do is ship it for the buyer's FFL by either USmail or UPS, both simple & safe transactions

I would love to sell it to a RF member, if there's someone who can meet FTF in northern Utah. Shipping is something I wanted to avoid. I've done it before, both as a buyer and seller, and in my experience it is a big hassle.

KWYJIBO said:
golferboy426 said:
you'll get more here for SURE. It's easy all you have to do is ship it for the buyer's FFL by either USmail or UPS, both simple & safe transactions

I would love to sell it to a RF member, if there's someone who can meet FTF in northern Utah. Shipping is something I wanted to avoid. I've done it before, both as a buyer and seller, and in my experience it is a big hassle.

I am in northern Utah shoot me a PM I can help you out!

RSIno1

Hunter
I sold some early ones a few years ago $250 carbine 300 w/checkered stock.
Shipping is easy. Wrap the box in brown paper with lots of clear tape or stick it in a flourcent light box. Check the address of the FFL the buyer wants it to go to (check it's valid on the ATF site). Take it to the post office, about $35 to ship. Include a copy of your DL and the contact info of the buyer so the FFL can log it in and knows who to call to come get their gun.

steenroller

Bearcat
I would second the opinion of keeping it, both for the reason it is much better made than the ones you see now and it would be a great one to keep to think of your Dad when you shoot it.
I would like to get one like that but I am on the opposite corner of the country and I have spent my gun allowance for a while.

hittman

Staff member
Speaking of older 10/22s ….. I overpaid for one recently and don't care one bit. :lol:

A local friend bought one in April 1969 right before his wedding. He outfitted it with a K-Mart brand scope and bought a bore sight tool that was still in its original box! As expected its a great shooter.

Its a 6 digit non prefix serial number and solid walnut. About 95% condition and I gave him $400 for it. I asked if he was sure he didnt want to offer it to one of his sons first and he told me he'd given each of them 2 guns a year ago. When he asked how they liked the guns they told him "they brought good money"!

How disrespectful. :roll:

jimd441

Blackhawk
hittman - I wouldn't say you overpaid for that gun based on your description of it. I would have done the same.

Jim

jimd441

Blackhawk
Rick C - that is a great quote, I'll keep it ready for my own use :D

Jim

mrmag00

Bearcat
I think you should keep it, do't think I could sell any of the guns I got from my dada or grandfather.