ANYONE HAVE A LOT OF KNOWLEDGE IN S&W 29-2, /29-3

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Eagle

Single-Sixer
I have a Smith & Wesson 29-2, pinned ,and recessed. According to my knowledge, the 29-3 remover the pin and recess.
Then the 29-3 E, an endurance package was added.
The yoke of the cylinder should have S/N , and MOD. 29-3E
However, my 29-2 has S/N, and, MOD. 29-2 as it should, BUT ( under that is stamped, 4x287, E2) .WHAT IS THIS ??
Is this saying this is the start of the Endurance Package ,and my 29-2 has the Endurance Package ??
thanks ,anyone that can tell me.

the numbers under the model stamping is only production numbers, not the "package" or such...you have the normal 29-2 nice gun, last of the nice guns....the Endurance packages etc or stuff from the Performance center, will be picked up on the guns box label...hope this helps.... 8) :wink:

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Those "nice guns", ala pinned and recessed, ended in 1981............FORTY YEARS AGO! SEEMS LIKE Y'DAY, RIGHT? DAN? Never been thrilled by a crush fit barrel vs the pinned barrels.........And.......everyone needs the great 4th edition of Supica's S&W big book..........a true treasure chest of knowledge! 8) :wink:

hittman

Staff member
I've no idea how any "gun guy" gets by without:

1 - RENE
2 - SCSW

On the other hand, if everybody had those it'd eliminate about 25% of all questions on gun forums. :lol:

I agree, and as 'Splitz' often said "get the books"........

...and as for the "books" like Jeff M. used to always say after he wrote any of his books, "prove me wrong"............ 8) :roll: :wink:

but one of the things I enjoy about the forum is to be able to hopefully answer a question, as many of us over the years have contributed to some of those who did write the books.........yes years back ,even the "Blue Book" or "S&W Standard Cat Vol. 3 and 4".......... 8)

...." and so it goes..." RIP Wil Terry :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
I agree with all the above. The books,, to me,, are invaluable. Yet,, as mentioned,, "prove me wrong" is a good way to look at things.
We all know of mistakes in print, and ESPECIALLY stuff written on the internet.
Yet,, the books are often the best resource to get the detailed & correct information on most things. And when published,, they offer many people the chance to add to the knowledge base if they find something they can correct. Jeff M had the right idea. He accepted his work could easily be proven wrong or added to.
John D has some excellent books,, and yet,, his "P&R the Vintage Years" has some stuff that needed correcting,, and an addendum was done. But overall,, it's all excellent to have the reference material,, that in general,, will answer a lot of questions. Not only for us now,, but for the future collectors & enthusiasts.

But,, also, like Dan,, I enjoy answering questions, and helping others who've asked, with genuine interest, to help them. That may help them become the future guys who'll be the "helpers" for others,, after we've gone. The books are the best thing to keep it alive. The internet,, well, it's just another medium to help folks.

I know this was a bit off topic of the OP,, but it's also drifted to a good place.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I know that Splitz (my brother) and others will often say "get the books". BUT I HATE READING BOOKS.

I've brought with me, thru life, some pretty significant learning disabilities that were never diagnosed until I was in my 40's. Consequently, I found it difficult to read books (and certainly maps were impossible). I flew small planes as a 'student pilot' for many years because I couldn't navigate via pilotage. I can take a motor apart and reassemble it.... but not by using a manual...it's impossible.

Then, along came the internet and you great folks on this forum (and many others). All my questions were answered over the years with grace and dignity (well maybe one or two weren't so dignified; but most were). I've been able pose a question, and get an answer almost immediately (without torturing myself reading thru dozens of pages of material). It's a great time saver for a person who has difficulty reading AND saves the torture (for some of us) or READING BOOKS.
Hopefully, this will explain an often hidden perspective many of us don't talk about.
MY THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE ANSWERED MY QUESTIONS.
J

most of the books have LOTS of pictures they are not "service ,technical manuals, boring stuff....and yes you are more than welcome... 8) :roll: :wink:

NO one, not even Chad can keep it ALL in their head, and he takes GREAT notes, just ask Jeff M. :)

Doc4429

Single-Sixer
4x287 is the assembly number stamped on select parts to keep them together during manufacture. This number may also be stamped on the lower left hand corner of the grip frame. E2 was stamped by a craftsman who assembled and/or inspected your Model 29-2. Again, you may find similar stampings on the grip frame (both sides).

Bill Cross
S&WCA/S&WHF

Landspeedracer

Bearcat
I have owned five 29-2'S and sold them this year most in presentation case. Sent one last Tuesday to and FFL in Ogden, Utah. The number you refer to is a production number, your pinned and recessed probably built in the mid 70'S.
Landspeedracer