Question about the 3 screw single six 22 LR cylinder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Hi all,
Have been looking at pictures of the 3 screw single six 22 LR vs 22 mag cylinders. The face of the 22 mag cylinders look like a Ruger new model super single six 22 LR or mag cylinder while the old 3 screw LR cylinder face has, what I've seen called, a firing pin groove. What was the reason for this?
Thanks!

....to keep from interferring with the nose of the firing pin.....mainly on the old models, first year or two of the New Models..... probably they stopped doing that for a "price saving?? cut down a step in the operation, machining process,though we have seen many over the years old ( the 22 magnum) AND New models, either caliber, where folks have put firing pin "indents" adjacent to the chambers , over and over again..... 8) :roll: :wink:

rugerguy said:
....to keep from interferring with the nose of the firing pin.....only on the old models, not the New Models.....though we have seen many over the years where folks have put firing pin "indents" adjacent to the chambers , over and over again..... 8) :roll: :wink:

I have always suspected that "fanning" was the source of these firing pin marks. Most of them I've seen were nowhere near the chambers, and the bolt on the guns looked a little the worse for wear. JMHO

chet15

Hawkeye
The firing pin groove actually lasted well into New Model production for the Single-Six... up to about 64-20000 for the blue guns and up to 64-70000 for stainless.
The earliest New Model Blackhawks also have firing pin grooves, except for the .357 mag which never had a firing pin groove.
Chet15

Latest posts