EC9S trigger "creep"?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

professir

Bearcat
Just was given a Ruger EC9S for my b-day. LOVE that gun, but the trigger is like running your finger across a sticky counter. Slight take up, then creep, creep CREEP, creep.....wall, break. Now, I will readily admit to being very spoiled by my other carry gun....a Colt Cobra. But.....its almost like there is something wrong with it!

Time to panic and call the factory?

professir

Bearcat
Just a follow up (in case anyone cares).......a gun smith said the creeping is a result of the mag safety. It adds a piece to the trigger process. Thanks for the info. :)

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
I checked mine, which I've had for about three years now. It has a bit of take-up, but breaks clean. I've fired about 200 plus rounds through it. It rides in my front right trouser pocket whenever I leave the house.

Shoot and dry fire it some. It will probably smooth up.

Everything is relative. It's the nature of mini-gun striker fired guns. The trigger is NOTHING like a nice 1911. Shoot it, dry fire it plenty, the key is your finger getting used to it. Your finger can get used to anything. Just a matter of taking the time to learn it.

"Your finger can get used to anything. Just a matter of taking the time to learn it."
Agree. Son's been looking for a smaller profile carry pistol. One of the places we stopped had several and the salesman was comparing the speed at which each could be fired. Not a word about taking precise aim and firing a single round but all about how fast the shooter could dump 10-12 shots into a 16 x 24 target.
I know that SD isn't a precision event but the capability to fire carefully aimed shots is still part of the picture. None of the compact pistols that use the capgun(ish) firing method is going to have the trigger feel of a single action pistol. There's always going to be drag, scrape, stack, mush, creep, or any of the other descriptives--some are just easier to live with than others.
I've got used to the trigger on the G2C--it has no 'feel' at all, just haul it back and it fires. Paper plate@ 25 yards is well within it's capabilities. That's as good as most and better than many.

keep in mind the creep is actually you doing the 2nd half of the cocking of the 'hammer'. I presume it can be made smoother and possibly the wall before the break 'thinner'.... but still nothing like the break on even a moderately good single action gun.

Wow, I hear this/read this on so many different gun forums. FOLKS, it's a different type handgun, the trigger pull will NEVER be like your classic Colt or Smith and Wesson double action or a well used Ruger single action revolver, it's design is completely different. Shooting one is completely different. You have to practice and build the muscle memory so that if you need it you will instinctively know what to do when it's in your hand. Way too many people buy these for the nice small package, easy to conceal but still have a decent ammo capacity for self defense/emergencies and then complain to the high heavens how the trigger pull is not like their revolvers. I can almost guarantee that in a "situation" that a person must use this type of handgun, they won't even think about the "creepy" trigger pull because they will probably be pulling the trigger as fast as they can. They won't be worrying about taking a "proper" shooting stance, or even concentrating on the front sight, they will be worrying about what is in front of them putting them or their loved ones in danger.

Find a range that will allow you to draw your concealed weapon, however you carry it, and play in your mind that the target in front of you is a bad guy with a gun pointed at you and you HAVE to shoot him before he shoots you. Have a friend or fellow shooter there to either set off some type of alarm or shout at you to start the "situation" otherwise you are going to play out everything in your head before you even draw. Not perfect but I'm willing to bet that you won't be slowly pulling the trigger as you take careful aim at the X ring of the target and thinking "Boy this trigger sure has a lot of creep/roughness/etc/etc." If you are thinking that way in this scenario, you LOSE. Or, join a local IDPA, USPSA, etc. group and use your SD handgun to shoot a course (they will explain what you can do or not do), it really does help.

Let's just think a little before we denigrate a firearm. Or at least shoot it a while and understand the whys and wherefores of the design and why you bought it (or was gifted it) before complaining. Now that said, if you do take it out and get good and familiar with it, and it doesn't seem to be doing what it is supposed to, then query the folks who might be a bit more knowledgeable about that firearm and/or talk to the manufacturer about your concerns.

I apologize about the rant tone of this reply.

professir

Bearcat
Just a follow up. I could not get over the feeling something was wrong. I traded it in, with full knowledge of my situation to the dealer. I ponyed up the extra money and bought a Smith and Wesson model 36 no dash. Of course, butter trigger. Fast forward to this week. New Ruger Ec9s in stock. Got to pick up one and play with it. TOTALLY different trigger and its beautiful. Whatever was "wrong" with the other one, it isnt with this one. So much so that I sold the 36 to get this Ec9s. Once again, Ruger rules!!!!!

Latest posts