help identifying an old standard pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sorry folks, I clicked on the "approximate by year serial number" and found they did not have prefixes in early 1950 so that puts this in the mid-late fifties...

hittman

Staff member

Go to our Collecting Section and see the top announcement. A link is posted in that thread to all the older Rugers made pre-computerized records.

By the way, for your amusement, the rest of the story….the gun was sold to me by a friend short on cash….I don't want it…I've got a safe queen Standard, and several Mark II. The standard he sold me was very rough, little blue left and serious pitting. He said his mother bought it new but it must have been a fishing tackle box gun. I guessed it had so little value that it couldn't get worse if I sent it back to Ruger for service and re-blue, something I normally would not do…at least the Re blue….things are only original once.
When I get it back I will give it back to him and suggest he take better care of it and pass it on to his son. Any gun your mother bought should stay in the family. I'm getting a lot of joy out of this project - out of proportion to the $200 the gun is worth. More than one way to enjoy a Ruger.

Latest posts