Primers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Interesting! In my quest to find primers, I've come across large pistol magnum primers, and many small rifle primers. I've always used those (small rifle) in .327 Magnum.

A while back I bought some Vihtavuori powder. The N340. I'm finally getting around to loading some 38's and 357's. On V.V's website they specify small rifle primers in 357 magnum also. I've been using small pistol primers, and small pistol magnum primers. However I ran out of the small pistol magnum primers a long time ago.

It's just interesting to me that different primers are acceptable for a given caliber.

And no, I'm not going to just start randomly switching primers around willy nilly. :D

As a side note, the Vihta Vuori N340 powder meters very nicely. I've got one of those RCBS charge master powder dispensers. And each load is just spot on.

RSIno1

Hunter
Rifle (and magnum) are generally thicker to withstand the higher pressures. They sometimes don't work in pistols giving the impression of light strikes. My 458 SoCom rifle loads call for a large magnum pistol primer.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/reloading-for-the-458-socom/

NikA

Buckeye
For a long time (and perhaps still) folks were claiming that someone from the CCI tech department indicated that 550 (SPM) and 400 (SR) primers were the same product in different packaging.

I've loaded them as such in the past, for whatever that's worth.

Latest posts