Replacing rear blade on a 1956 Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

K1500

Single-Sixer
I am looking at buying a 1956 Blackhawk in .357 with a 4 5/8" barrel. It looks good except the rear sight blade is damaged and needs to be replaced. I have a few questions:

1. How hard is this to do? My understanding is I back the adjustment screw all the way out and pivot the blade out by lifting the right side. Reinstall in reverse making sure the spring on the left side is there and doing it's job.
2. Is there a source for old model flattop blades? Are they unique to the vintage of gun. In other words, will any old model blade work or do I need a specific one?
3. Will a new model blade work?
4. Will this diminish the value of the gun?

Thanks in advance for your help.

contender

Ruger Guru
Removal & replacement of a rear blade isn't too hard. But it does require an understanding of how it's installed. There is also a spring behind the blade,, that needs depressing to re-install a new blade. A special tool was made by Brownells years ago,, but a thin, SMALL flat screwdriver blade can be made to work also.
I'd have to go & double check a few of my OM guns,, but I do think there are a few small differences in the 1956 sight blade vs some of the later ones.
As for a source of OM blades,, the best thing to do is post a WTB ad here & hope. Ruger won't have a period correct blade,, unless they are identical to the NM blades they now have.
A NM blade most likely will work. An OM blade has a little tip that corresponds to a tiny slot in the top of the base. I don't think the NM's have that,, so it may not be an issue to use a NM blade while looking for a period correct blade.
Values,, are always dependent upon CONDITION,, and originality. A shooter grade vs a collector grade or someone looking for a Type 1,, it could make a difference. Maybe.

K1500

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking for a shooter for my daughter. The situation is complicated by Ruger not making anything other than plastic, AR's, and Wranglers over the past two years. She doesn't want a new model unless it is the Lipseys flattop, and she would rather have an old model. The gun is $900 and I'm waiting on some pictures to be sent.

once you get the gun, send me an email , if need be through the PM, and if you can carefully remove the rear sight assembly, send it to me I would repair/replace the rear sight, , and /or blade for your daughter..............
remove the cross pin ( 1/16 th pin punch) and the elevation screw..... 8) :wink:

K1500

Single-Sixer
Dan, thanks for the generous offer. I'll be in touch if I wind up buying the firearm.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Just FYI the old sight blades are easier to replace.

As I recall they don't have the little bump in the bottom edge of the blade that fits into a groove in the top of the sight base. You can use a new blade made for the same caliber gun with same barrel length; just file off the bump.

By the way, $900 is a bit steep for an old model shooter (unless in mint condition), especially with a bent rear sight blade.

K1500

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the tip. I'm still waiting on pics. The S/N is 30XX and it is not converted. I'm having a hard time finding an old model of any kind in decent shape.

I have a line on a nearly new looking 1970 gun. It has a few booger marks on the grip frame where the screws go into the rear of the frame, and a scrape on the back strap. Beyond that it's nearly new looking. They want $799 for that one.

By the time it all comes out in the wash with shipping, etc the 1970 will cost $906 out the door and the 1956 will cost $986. I don't know if it's worth the extra $80 for a 4 digit gun. Either way, with an eager kid and a progressive press it will get shot a lot.

She is picky. She wants an unconverted old model in .357 4 5/8". Im dying to see the pics of the flattop on Monday. My first center fire was an old model unconverted and she really wants one as her first center fire too. We just got back from the range and she didn't even want to shoot my new flattop.

I appreciate any and all advice, even unsolicited.

K1500 said:
I don't know if it's worth the extra $80 for a 4 digit gun.

I appreciate any and all advice, even unsolicited.

Totally unsolicited commentary: $80 difference on a $900 deal? :roll: JMHO for sure. :wink:

Bottom line . . . it's your money, your choice. If you decide against the 1956 gun please give us the contact info on its current owner. :D

Johnnu2

Hunter
Your daughter is a keeper..... AND she knows her s'tuff'.......

You did well in raising her fer sure......

I gotta say that I would never pay today's prices for anything..... But, I'm old and I don't have to.

J.

K1500

Single-Sixer
Thanks, I've got two daughters and they both make me proud. I ipdated my other thread but I figured I'd post here too. Pics came in and they are rougher than I thought. Any updated ideas on a fair price?