Ruger AR 556 MPR with the 18 inch Barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
With exception of the hand guard and extra 2 inches on the barrel, how is it different from the standard AR556?

The AR that lives on my UTV has an 18" barrel and rifle length gas system. As far as I'm concerned, this is the best combination for general hunting/carrying use and will work great with either the typical muzzle device or a suppressor. Most of my 16" barrels are set up with 'mid-length' gas systems because I prefer the longer handguard and the mid-length is a bit less violent operation vs a carbine gas.
An 18" barrel with mid-length gas would be somewhere in between since there's approximately equal 'dwell time' (distance between gas port and muzzle) as with a 16" w/carbine gas but the gas port is 2" further from the chamber.
In most uses, the difference will not be noticed although the 'over gassing' found on many carbine gas setups will be reduced.

9x19

Hunter
The MPR also comes with Ruger's improved trigger (but I don't have any idea how much improved it is).

kooz

Blackhawk
I have experience with three of these that I have set-up for friends of mine and one for use here at the ranch that I work on . All three have excellent triggers and all three of them shoot .5 moa with ammo they like and not much worse with ammo that they don't . The three of these MPR's are ridiculous accurate and to date have not experienced a single failure between them . We used Leupold mark AR scopes 3x9x40 and 4x12x40 in the Leupold AR mounts . Great set-up very economical , crazy accurate and reliable and Rugers warranty . In my opinion the best deal out there with AR's , these need no upgrades after you get them, just mount a scope and shoot. And this endorsement is from someone who does not like AR's .

BearBio

Buckeye
Just ordered one but all they had was the 16.1" barrel. Will be here Wed.

I don't care for the folding stock=is there any add-on fixed stocks available? (I'm old school and learned on a G.I. M-16)?

NikA

Buckeye
BearBio said:

I don't care for the folding stock=is there any add-on fixed stocks available? (I'm old school and learned on a G.I. M-16)?

You mean the collapsing stock akin to the M-4? Should be a generic AR-15 style stock, any compatible style should work (including A1/A2 fixed stock, if that's your preference).

Magpul has a collapsing adjustable stock with a lock on it as well. Would save you the trouble of swapping the buffer tube to something compatible with a fixed stock.

BearBio

Buckeye
NikA said:
BearBio said:

You mean the collapsing stock akin to the M-4? Should be a generic AR-15 style stock, any compatible style should work (including A1/A2 fixed stock, if that's your preference).

Magpul has a collapsing adjustable stock with a lock on it as well. Would save you the trouble of swapping the buffer tube to something compatible with a fixed stock.

I'm not that fanatical ab out it. Neither the cost nor the effort is justifiable to me. Thanks, anyway!

There are 'folding stock adaptors' for the AR. SYLVAN ARMS 'Black Friday' pricing is around $120 + frt. Adds 1.5" to minimum stock length which is usually compensated for by the adjustments. Gun can't be fired with stock folded.
I have one on a 'behind the seat' 5.45x39 AR. Works fine, locks up solidly in firing position but does not have a closed lock(just a spring detent). Clint of Classic Arms broke his lower receiver w/o damaging the Sylvan adaptor.

A.J.

Single-Sixer
I'm not sure about the 18" AR556, but my 16" version is quite nice. I carried a colt AR in Iraq (14" barrel). Although it was a great rifle and never jammed, the Ruger seems every bit as good.

mac66

Single-Sixer
A.J. said:
I'm not sure about the 18" AR556, but my 16" version is quite nice. I carried a colt AR in Iraq (14" barrel). Although it was a great rifle and never jammed, the Ruger seems every bit as good.

The MPR is kind of an enhanced version of the 16" version. Difference are 18" bbl, magpul furnture, free float handguard w/mlok slots, special lighter trigger.

A.J.

Single-Sixer
mac66 said:
A.J. said:

The MPR is kind of an enhanced version of the 16" version. Difference are 18" bbl, magpul furnture, free float handguard w/mlok slots, special lighter trigger.

Thanks for the clarification. In that case, the Ruger MPR is probably better than my Army issued Colt AR.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I just got an AR 556. Feels nice but: No front sling swivel. Had to buy one. I discovered, by accident, that a detachable sling swivel will fit in the bottom of the front sight. Also, No sight adjustment tool for front sight. These should have been included! Pros: ammo is available, Magpul mags are plentiful and pretty cheap.

Put a TruGlo 1-6x scope with a lighted reticle on. As soon as I can get to the range through the snow, I'll try it out!

BearBiologist

Buckeye
FWIW, Sportsman's warehouse in Moses Lake has MFT 30 rd mags for $9.99. Don't know how good they are but if not so good, range use!