Do you routinely carry more than one gun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

While I certainly own more than one gun, I have never carried more than one. Any of the guns that I carry are ones that I have confidence in the functioning properly if needed. But between a wallet, keys, cell phone, pocket knife and one gun, I'm already pretty well loaded down. This all came to mind while earlier on the extended road trip that I am on, I got into a conversation with my neighbor at the RV park where we stopped for the night in Nebraska. His tow vehicle was covered with gun related stickers so I stated that he sure was telling the world he was a " gun guy".

This new acquaintance then proudly told me that he loved guns, and always carried at least two,"just in case". I remarked about the "at least two" statement, and he then showed he the three guns he had on him that moment. He had a Glock 19 on his belt, an LCP in a pocket holster, and a snubbie on his ankle, and added he carried an extra mag for each of the semi's. I laughed and said I'm amazed that his pants stay up. I'll admit I felt almost unarmed with just my LC9s in my pocket, almost.

Made me wonder.

I can't remember EVER packing 2 handguns. I suppose there is some logic under certain circumstances but I'll stick with one gun and more ammo. If that seems inadequate, I'll go with a long gun to accompany the handgun.

I don't ROUTINELY carry more than one gun. UNLESS I'm traveling. When I'm traveling I've been known to travel with up to three guns, and considering more. People that carry tend to also be proficient at dealing with "what if" scenarios. If you don't do that how can you predetermine what you would do "if" something goes wrong. When you are traveling, help is typically farther away than if you are wondering around in town, the mall, the grocery store, who knows where. Even though I mostly carry a semi-auto, that is "known to be reliable" that does't mean the next round that is supposed to feed (typically) may not and now creates a problem. I also typically agree with Clint Smith...One is none, two is one, and three is just about right. In other words if you are only carrying one and it goes down, you are now at none. If you are carrying two and one goes down, you have the option of a "New York reload". Options are a good thing.
If you leave your wife in the car, truck, RV, what ever while you run into the truck stop for a necessary restroom visit, and get held up, the one gun you have is with you, and you are the least threatened of anyone on your trip.
Just some thoughts. When I totaled my truck last year on a long dark highway, the sheriffs officer that came out to help, was certainly surprised that I had three guns, but waiting for hours for a tow truck, we had plenty to talk about. He was sure he needed a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 Special like I had.

I often carry more than one gun.

A formidable revolver or pistol on my waist, and instead of a reload, I carry a mouse pistol in my shirt pocket.

And a third in my vehicle when I take a road trip. Could be a big revolver or a small rifle. Depending on if I'm headed either urban or rural dictates the selection. During hunting season it could be a fourth, or more. 8)

In my daily travels I only have one. If my wife and I go on a trip I'll have two, one to arm her with if we have to be separated. If venturing far out in sparsely populated areas with no cell signal I have slipped my Marlin lever action .357 into the truck "just in case".

NikA

Buckeye
Interestingly, NM's concealed carry statute prohibits carrying more than one permitted firearm concealed. I have no idea why or whether anyone has every been prosecuted (I suspect not).

When traveling or in a situation where assistance is likely to be unavailable, I almost always have a long gun available in addition to a handgun.

I've mentioned before I have a cool little horizontal holster for my NAA Mini. It rides on the belt. No matter what else I may have it always rides there.
vthFbdJ.jpg

TGW1979

Bearcat
You know I don't want to sound like a jackass or rude here but the individual carrying three firearms on his person... I wonder what he's compensating for? Who the hell carries like that? And what do you need that much firepower in the form of handguns on your person for? If you need that you might want to invest in assault rifle or a semi-automatic shotgun.

The only time you will ever find more than one firearm technically in my possession is if I'm going on a road trip or extended trips. I will have my EDC on my person and usually a 12 gauge tactical in the trunk. With a grand total of.. 36 nine mm rounds that's just all three of my magazines and maybe 10 to 20 buckshot rounds.
I'm not saying the individuals right or wrong. That's debatable. I just find that to be absurd.

Moving around with that much added bulk and weight must be a genuine pain in the ass I don't really see how you could respond tactically. But again.. To each his or her own. You do you.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
I'll be lazy right now about listing all the reasons right now , and just cite the Two is One , and One is None . ( And of course ammo . But if multiple in .38/ .357 . they can share the same pair of speed strips with .38 +P )

And there were plenty of occasions with three . ( If more than 3 , the next one is shotgun .)

With all steel 1911 and steel K Frame on belt , and snub in pocket ( and no butt on me) , suspenders would come in handy. . But with guns in different places like vest pocket , ankle , etc , it gets spread around .

wwb

Hunter
50 some years ago in Vietnam, I carried an M16 and a 1911. Grouse hunting, I carry a 20 gauge 870 and a Colt trooper .357. Other than that, I don't anticipate encountering a hostile platoon, so I guess one will do the job.

Ranger

Single-Sixer
Usually just one. There was a time frame when the Ferguson riots were going on and my wife & I needed to be in that general area that i carried two and had a third in the vehicle. Many firearms with spare ammo equal digging out the suspenders!

A.J.

Single-Sixer
I keep a Ruger P89 (large frame 9mm pistol) in my car door compartment. It never leaves the car. A Ruger LCRX (38 caliber snub nose revolver) is what I carry on my person. At the height of the rioting, I was working in a bad area. I kept a 12 gauge pump in the trunk. Not anymore.

I always carry one with extra ammo. A second depends on the perceived threat level of where I will be for the day. A third weapon would be a shotgun or a rifle. How many LEO's have died wishing for a BUG? Read the "Onion Field".
gramps

Regardless of what I am carrying, I always have this on my belt. It's set up for right handed, I'm a southpaw. It rides horizontally along the belt. Since I usually carry cross draw for my primary handgun, this is carried cross draw as well. It's pretty easy to access with either hand.
vthFbdJ.jpg

Latest posts