Wrangler Ammo Preference.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sjs

Single-Sixer
I have had more rimfires rifles, pistols and revolvers than I can remember and as we all know they are often brand specific as to their preferred ammo. From expensive Coopers and Anschutz rifles to inexpensive firearms, most have shot better with more costly ammo.

Coincidence or not, all of my firearms have liked Federal 510, and most have liked Winchester Super X, which are not high priced, but every single one has loved Wolf Match Target. Even more expensive ammo by Eley and Lapua have not performed better in my guns than Wolf Match Target.

Until, that is, my Wrangler. It does not like Wolf, it does not like Federal 510 or Winchester Super X, or much else I have tried, but it loves CCI Mini Mag. It shoots Mini Mag like it was match ammo. I have never shot much Mini Mag so perhaps it is known for accuracy but I never thought of it that way.

What does your Wrangler like?

Does it prefer high velocity ammo like mine seems to?

As you said, every one is it's own rule. I mostly keep Federal Automatch, Blazer, and Federal HVHP and find that one or another does well in any of the 22's I have. I don't shoot competitively anymore but do have fairly high expectations of 22 performance.
I know it's difficult since these days, one doesn't just drop by the LGS and buy a couple boxes of every type of 22 ammo on the shelf to test.

Markbo

Bearcat
When I get a new gun or barrel every single one is tested with a minimum of 20 different loads. Once narrowed down I know for a fact which one it likes best as well as the next 2 or 3 in case I run out.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Or ......

Start out with one or two that I have lots on hand , or usually available at my LGS . Test those . If you or more meets my expectations/ requirements , declare Victory in my initial quest , trying others as I otherwise come across in my usual visiting gun stores and gun shows .