For Those Heading Out In Search Of Mule Deer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sometimes you might just want to check the side yard before you go.

For those in Oregon, this is 1 block off main street in Joseph.
In order to avoid the cougars and wolves, they would rather put up with a few barking dogs in town.

contender

Ruger Guru
NICE mulies!

Not much different than around here. The whitetails,,, (along with many other critters,, ) stay in towns or other "protected" areas. Some of the larger bucks I've seen were inside gated communities, or towns where hunting wasn't legal.

During the summer we store our 'deer wagons' (plywood deer blinds constructed atop old farm wagons) by parking them alongside an old shed at our north farm to prevent storm damage. Thursday in preparation for bean harvest, I went to the north farm to retrieve a wagon for the landowner to use. When I drove in to hook up that wagon, I noticed a movement and looking closer saw a button buck bedded in the shade between the 2 parked deer wagons. Of course I wasn't able to get a pic on my phone before he left but I guess that's one buck that will be accustomed to seeing those large objects strategically parked along the deer travel paths.
BTW, I stole the picture above and sent it to my hunting buddy telling him 'this is where I'm hunting'. Can't wait to get his response.

wolfsong

Staff member
Based on the ears, those look more like the subspecies Colombian Blacktail deer to me, especially in in NW Oregon. Mulies tend to prefer the more open eastern side of Oregon. Blacktails LOVE the thick, dense forests of the Northwest. I could be wrong; just my opinion based on my experience.

wolfsong said:
Based on the ears, those look more like the subspecies Colombian Blacktail deer to me, especially in in NW Oregon. Mulies tend to prefer the more open eastern side of Oregon. Blacktails LOVE the thick, dense forests of the Northwest. I could be wrong; just my opinion based on my experience.

In this case you are pretty much wrong. You can only go about 30-40 miles further East or North from Joseph before you will be in Idaho or Washington. Those were in moms yard.

Here are a couple pics of a true blacktail buck that showed up in my yard last week. We see does and yearling spike bucks almost daily at my place. The bigger bucks like this 3x3 are mostly nocturnal and only seen during the rut, which is in full swing right now. These are from my 2nd floor office and he is about 20 yards from the house.

Latest posts