Do old model .44's usually shoot high?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
I have 2 old model. 44's and an old army. All are good shooters. The. 44's are really good shooters. They all shoot high. Like 3.5-4" high at 25 yards. It seems like they are set up to be dead on at 100 yards. Doesn't matter with different boolit weights still high. Rear sights are bottomed out.

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
I have SBHs that range from 1974 thru 1987 and how I grip or support them seems to make a difference. If I shoot off hand it is more or less to point of aim, kinda, and I have to regrip after every shot. If I take a sitting position and use my leg or knees to support the revolver I shoot about 5" high at 25 or so yards. I believe it is how you hold the SBH that makes it shoot high. Having only one hand to use a two handed hold ain't gonna happen and resting, while sitting, on my leg will cause a differing point of impact. My sight is bottomed out when I shoot supported but 3 clicks up when I shoot off handed. I know this is not answering your question but it is how it works for me.

contender

Ruger Guru
Good point above.
Get another shooter,, one who knows how to handle a SA,, and let them try your guns,, WITHOUT telling them what you are experiencing. I've done that occasionally,, to see if my suspicions about a gun were correct.

I put different sized front sights on two of my SBH's. Use the search function, there are several threads regarding this issue, and how to make it all better.
gramps

98Redline

Blackhawk
I am fairly certain that there were several years where older BH's and SBHs had a shorter front sight blade. From what I recall this was based on the prevalent load for 44s being something like 160gr at the time.

My 1967 3 screw SBH shoots high with 240gr loads and way high with 300s.

2 dogs

Buckeye
Too short front sights are very common on the older Rugers. There's a number of ways to fix it. Take a look at my custom sights on my website and call me directly.
fermincgarza.com

LAH

Buckeye
Listen to Fermin. If I lived near him I'd be in his shop a bunch. His sights will give you a sight picture to die for & they are plenty high.