And It Proves It Is Not For My Guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Z2J1aUel.jpg

Today I shot my Black Mamba with a variety of ammo to see what works. I started out with Federal AutoMatch and was totally surprised by the lack of groups and enormous amount of Failure To Fires and poor groupings.

I then tried so bulk CCI Mini Mags and kept all rounds inside the X ring of a Bianchi target out to 50 yards. Being satisfied I also had to test some CCI Blazers ( my favorite round for practice and match) The Blazers grouped just as well so I'm thinking of switching to them for my Match ammo.

Here's my story: Sad but true...

You could look into the difference and might find nothing but what part of the run the ammo was packaged in.
Examples: As a master class smallbore shooter in my younger days. CCI Green Tag vs CCI Mini group. Green tag was the top most expensive by about 1/3 as I recall over the Mini group. When CCI made a run the first half was boxed as Green Tag the last half was Mini group. Not sure of the % of the runs went to where just used that % for an example.
Take Eley Tenex and Eley black box they did the same thing.
By the way to you measure the ammo to check for same rim size? I did.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
kmoore said:
You could look into the difference and might find nothing but what part of the run the ammo was packaged in.
Examples: As a master class smallbore shooter in my younger days. CCI Green Tag vs CCI Mini group. Green tag was the top most expensive by about 1/3 as I recall over the Mini group. When CCI made a run the first half was boxed as Green Tag the last half was Mini group. Not sure of the % of the runs went to where just used that % for an example.
Take Eley Tenex and Eley black box they did the same thing.
By the way to you measure the ammo to check for same rim size? I did.
No, I've never measured the rim thickness. I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

I've found similar results with Federal AutoMatch and Blazer. On some guns one is good and the other bad. I can't think of a single pistol or rifle I have tried that shoots both well. I shoot a lot of Blazer through my 77/22 in pre-season practice and it's quite good--not competition grade but practice grade.
Fed AM and CCI Blazer make up the majority of my 22 range use. Federal HP is used in the field use guns. CCI sub-sonic HP is a perfect mate for the muffled 22/45 although AGUILA sub-sonic is nearly as accurate.

gunzo

Buckeye
I would have looked at the Fed automatch, but as much as I like Mini Mags & the 40 grain Blazer, neither would be ones I'd look at for the best accuracy at that price point.

Some guns like Green Tag, but CCI standard velocity has been as good as GT in most of my test, yet GT cost twice more than SV. I for one don't plan to buy Green Tag again. A sleeper at less money than any CCI offering, even the fed match, has been Aguila SV, damn good at it's price point. Aguila does offer some match ammo as well. While it's not up to par with Ely, it cost about as much as CCI offerings, during normal times.

Then again, ya never know about a 22. A no name brand of ammo from the farm supply store might stand out.

In 22LR the best way to get consistent results is rim thickness. As long as its the same great. These gauges eliminate another variable when your at the top of the game. I got tried of gauging tenex. Say you want to use cheaper ammo for practice and get weird groups the gauge might help.
In that case you would put only alike size in a box.