Red Label Shotguns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
You're kidding, right?
Don't think they've made shotguns for a decade or more.

RSIno1

Hunter
hittman said:
You're kidding, right?
Don't think they've made shotguns for a decade or more.
When did they bring out the ill fated redesigned Red Label that was so bad they quit selling them and scrapped the whole idea?

Crazy Horse

Single-Sixer
It was about 10 or 15 years ago when i was really wanted one of the 28 gauges. I bought a 20 gauge engraved but never got a 28. I guess i just missed out on that one. i didn't know they brought out a failed version of the Red Label.

I had a 50th Anniversary engraved 28 gauge. It was my favorite gun for pheasant hunting. Like a fool, I sold it. I sold at a big profit, but now regret it. Ruger made a true 28 size gun. They didn't just slap 28 gauge barrels on a 20 gauge frame.

chet15

Hawkeye
They quit making the original Red Label in 2011 or so.
Came out with a re-designed shotgun in 12 gauge in 2013 and also made a few of the redesigned style in 20 gauge, maybe a couple hundred.
I don't think it was a failed design at all. It just cost them more to make each example than they wanted, especially when you can take that production space and produce $559 MSRP bolt rifles all day long as fast as you can make them.
Chet15

langenc

Single-Sixer
Crazy Horse said:
It was about 10 or 15 years ago when i was really wanted one of the 28 gauges. I bought a 20 gauge engraved but never got a 28. I guess i just missed out on that one. i didn't know they brought out a failed version of the Red Label.

Mossberg, not a Ruger Red but they do make a 28, as I recall..