ammo getting cheaper(?)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Relatively speaking of course.
I got an email ad for some 'good quality' reman 9mm last night. Hornady XTP bullets, most likely mixed cases, reputable loader, and about 62.5 cents per round. Well, that's quite a bit less than $1.25(actually 1/2) but then I considered that it would still cost over $20 to fill one of the 33 round GLOCK mags that my PDW uses or $7.50 to fill the little G2C mag.

Johnnu2

Hunter
IMHO, I think that paying $31.25 for a box of remanufactured 9mm would be insane (for me that is). I think it would be insane even for a newly manufactured box of 9mm.

Once again, the more WE pay their prices, the more THEY hold us hostage.

We all know that somewhere in the 'chain' someone is holding the ammo; it's our job to 'out-wait' them.

DON'T BUY,

J.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yes, ammo prices are slowly coming down. Demand has waned, and as such, supply is trying to catch up.
Johnnu2, those of us who have been shooters for a long time are not the buying market share that is paying the higher prices. It's the 8-10 million new gun owners (NSSF numbers,) who have been buying at such prices. Until THEY stop buying, as well as the other gun folks who got caught w/o enough ammo to feel comfortable, the demand will stay higher.
But, luckily, it is SLOWLY showing signs of getting better.

I guess this is worth repeating, this came from a friend who deals directly with CCI.
Last Jan he was informed CCI was at 100% manufacturing and not taking any more ammo orders(JAN 2021) for at least 1.5 years to get all those orders shipped. With ammo sales in such high demand, reloading components won't be on the market. All of that stuff is going into making ammo. Anyone who thinks its the ammo companies is holding back is not listening. What happened to the US market while Remington ammo was shut down? That alone shut off xx% of ammo for sale, for how many months? What about the extra millions of firearms sold in the last 2-3 years each year more than before. As said all those millions of never before gun owners want ammo too.
Add the Coivd 19 into the mix.
Another industry used to make my point. In 45 years I have always walked onto a RV dealers lot and picked out what I wanted. Not in the last year, I ordered a new travel trailer last month and will get it in 7 months, if they get all the materials on time. More RVs have been sold in the last year than ever realized there was a market that high. What about new motor vehicles, are the dealers just holding those back to make more money too.
I guess we are allowed to beleive what ever we want.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I can't help myself.... I just can't believe simple, factual arguments....

I hope you guys are correct; I'd gladly share the wealth with new shooters if they learn to vote correctly. I just hate seeing them get ripped-off so badly.

J.

I just don't see ammo prices dropping back to what they were in 2018 or 2019. Everything has gone up in price, just literally everything. Even salaries. So it makes sense ammunition will follow. And if new shooters have only seen 9mm for $19/box, then they will buy it.

jack black

Blackhawk
I have always believed in the ANT AND THE GRASSHOPPER theory I am set for the rest of my shooting years.
If you are still a GRASSHOPPER after all these years than you will never be the ANT. :wink: :wink:

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I'm ashamed to see some of my ammo sources taking advantage of the pandemic. Midway, whom I've done a lot of business with over the years had 9 mm for $124 a box. Today it's $60 but that's till too much.

I'm glad I gave up all my centerfires and started shooting .22s. I can find them for twice their normal price ( and it's coming down ) and my sources are full of it.

Latest posts