Revolver Ram

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snyd

Single-Sixer
DIY. Second DCUA Walkin Ram for me. 38.5" 11 yo. 71 yds with the Freedom Arms 454 Casull. I thank the Lord and my partner Roy. Over the years I'd been hoping to get a Ram in this class and also get a shot at one with my pistol. Both happened on this trip. Also we got him 1 day before my 61st Birthday so he's a Birthday Ram as well. I'd never hunted sheep this late, first BDay in the Sheep Mtns. This is number 4 for me out of 10 I've packed and ate. Other 3 I did euro mounts and sold the capes, this one gets mounted. For me this is the pinnacle, the Apogee of my Sheep Hunting. I am done chasing rams for myself. If one of my buddies draws and needs a partner and if my body holds out I'll enter the Sheep Mountains again. But for me, it's been an awesome ride and I'm more than satisfied. Hmm, I got my first and last ram on DCUA Walkin Hunts. There's much more to the story for a future thread.

FYI - DCUA is the Delta Controlled Use Area Draw only. This is a non-motorized, no pack animals hunt. I killed him 15 miles off the road. Our tent was 12 miles back in. It's all DIY walkin pack it out. I'm an AK resident so no guide required (or wanted!)

IMG-2580-1.jpg

IMG-2590.jpg

IMG-2581.jpg

IMG-2617.jpg

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
That's impressive. A great hunting story with a fantastic ending. Must have been hard packing out the meat. Did it make any records?

Revolvers make for a great hunt. Tell us more, what load did you use? Were you standing or resting on something? 75 yards is a good distance for the 454 so after the hit how far did it travel?

Your pictures are great.

Good luck and good shooting.

contender

Ruger Guru
When I saw the title,, my mind thought; "What,, ANOTHER one?" Then when I opened it, I realized I had already seen this stuff,, and then my thoughts went to; "Still dern impressive!"

Snyd

Single-Sixer
AzShooter1 said:
That's impressive. A great hunting story with a fantastic ending. Must have been hard packing out the meat. Did it make any records?

Revolvers make for a great hunt. Tell us more, what load did you use? Were you standing or resting on something? 75 yards is a good distance for the 454 so after the hit how far did it travel?

Your pictures are great.

Good luck and good shooting.

240gr Hornady XTP Mag handload over a bunch of H110 for 1900ish fps MV. I was standing, leaning against a 10ft tall rock. He was quartering towards me up hill. Hit him if front of the right shoulder, bullet traveled up took out some lung, didn't hit a bone. Recovered the bullet under hide, perfect mushroom. The Ram hunched up and fell over. The XTP mag spent all it's energy in the Ram. I thought I'd shouldered or heart shot him the way he went down. Amazing performance. The FA 454 with a true FA 454 load is devastating. Kills more like a rifle than a typical pistol round. Perhaps even quicker. I've killed 3 other rams with my 325wsm and seen 7 other rams killed with rifles. I'd like to see what a hot 300gr XTP mag load does on moose. Maybe next year!

Congratulations Snyd. That whole trip is an amazing accomplishment. That's a lot of miles to hoof in. Then to pack it all out, is quite an accomplishment. What a beautiful trophy. I'm sure you will be ready for moose next year. I have no doubts the 454 will handle anything in Alaska.

sixshot

Buckeye
They are all record book when you get them with a revolver! Snyd is a hard working, never quitting hunter that shows us the way & at 61 years old, when most are watching TV or playing on the computer he's putting in the time to climb tall mountains, wade streams, eat freeze dried meals over a single burner stove inside the tent, and roll out before daylight to start all over again!
All the little things that make such a hunt a lifetime memory, great job buddy, I salute you!

Dick