No.3 fore-end with checkering

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
I'm no expert, but I have a No. 3 fore-end that has what looks like factory checkering to me (pattern, execution, etc.)

Has anyone ever heard of any No. 3 wood with factory checkering?

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
No.........however......some years ago I purchased a checkered 10 22 carbine stock that was retrieved and saved from a then( late 1960's) Ruger Newport scrap wood pile that was left available for the locals to feed their wood stoves. The 2nd owner said his buddy had retrieved the stock, saved it as "it was too nice to burn" and then gave it to him who in turn closeted it for some years. The time frame of origin pointed to a time when WBR brought in the team to build the Ruger Number One which required trained local women(!) to checker the stocks, including the rare and uncommon checkered 10 22 Internationals and finger grooved Sporters. My referenced carbine stock is rather flawlessly marvelous except the forearm fine checkered pattern is done a bit on the skewed bias on the large inner point above the mag well. And, it is the 3 part conjoined pattern used on the early Number One forearms. Seems anything is possible.............I remain proud and fortunate to be the custodian of this rare piece of Ruger "firewood".........Splitz 8) :wink:

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
As we Ruger loonies are wont to say, never say never with Ruger . . . . :wink: You'll note the previous owner of this fore-end was not up on the difference between No. 1 vs No. 3
j5uys4Z.jpg

6rPE8Hv.jpg

I'll store this one away with the 4-digit stock with unusual checkering that I believe I posted about here some tome back. 8)

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
HAWKEYE#28 said:
My 10 22 checkering pattern, tho downsized, is the same lines per inch fine pattern.......... 8)
Splitz - I'm not saying this fore-end is definitely factory, but whoever did the checkering certainly did an admirable job of making it look "Ruger". :)

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
gewehrfreund said:
HAWKEYE#28 said:
My 10 22 checkering pattern, tho downsized, is the same lines per inch fine pattern.......... 8)
Splitz - I'm not saying this fore-end is definitely factory, but whoever did the checkering certainly did an admirable job of making it look "Ruger". :)

Understand 8) Lots of things ........."Stuff"......."incidents" occurred "back then/there"........I miss the sharings of Jack Behn and Steve Vogel :wink: