Brass plated steel cases

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ron IL

Bearcat
This morning I was checking some brass I picked up over the last couple trips. A big bunch of brass stuck to the magnet. Surprised me. They look just like normal brass. Now I need to start running the magnet over the brass as I load. I don't want to mess with steel cases. Look like military surplus. Headstamps are S&B with a red sealer on the primer. And the other one is GROM with a PL on it too. No sealer on it. Just looks like plain old brass. Might be able to reload them but not going to mess with it since I have plenty of good clean brass now.

Ron IL

Bearcat
Just curious I ran a couple through the size decapper die and seemed to run OK, maybe just slightly more effort. Makes me wonder if I have loaded some and didn't even know it. Since I have plenty of good stuff I won't reload them. I may try a couple for a test. I think they might be a little hard on the dies.

The Norseman

Blackhawk
I reload steel .223Rem. Believe it or not, it has made some
of my most accurate reloads (better than the Lake City brass),
but then again Remington, Winchester, and PMC make more
accurate reloads then L.C.

The Steel I picked up from the ground is rust-free totally,
needs to look new, and have the boxer primer single
hole pockets.

To reload Steel, I just reload the same way I do my
.223 brass. It works great in my scoped AR15.

I have not seen the Brass coated Steel yet.

The best to you and your endeavors.

Boxer primed steel cases? WOW, I'm really out of the loop.
I use Hornady 'Steel Match' in my EDC AR that lives on the UTV mostly because I seldom find cases when shooting vermin in summer with tall grass and such. Not sure I ever looked inside one of them or the Silver Bear I used to shoot.

The Happy Kaboomer

Single-Sixer
Back in the 70's when I was lot poorer. I reloaded 45acp steel cases(Rem-Umc). After I shot surplus. They were WWII surplus that came in brown flapped paper boxes. I shot a lot of them through a Colt Light weight Commander with zero problems.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
These new brass plated steel cases have been getting me in trouble at the recycling place this year. I've been taking range pick-up brass that I don't reload for to the "scrap yard" for the last 15 years or so. I've never had a problem being able to visually sort the plated/coated steel stuff out until this year. There's a couple of those manufacturers on the other side of the world now (commie companies I think) that are dressing up their steel cased stuff with brass plating/coating. I guess I'll have to start wasting time with the magnet

jd