Does LCP Max Feed Reliably?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AlaskaErik

Bearcat
I'm aware earlier LCP models have had failure to feed issues with certain rounds, such as the Federal Hydra-Shok. I just saw a video on YouTube where an LCP failed to feed at least three Buffalo Bore 90 grain rounds. I would like to upgrade to the LCP Max and use Federal Hydra-Shok Deep 99 grain as my defensive round. Has anyone run this ammo through their LCP Max? I want to make sure there won't be any issues with rounds failing to feed before I carry this pistol.

Buck Smith

Bearcat
So far mine has proven to be more reliable than the 2 LCP2's I had. Only 100 or so rounds in but had experienced multiple failures including an extractor blow out on the others within the first few mags downrange. Soured me on the LCP2 even though I'd had several 1st and 2nd Gen LCPs with no problems other than a weak mag release spring.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
My Max has been reliable so far in 205 rounds down range. Haven't shot any Federal defensive ammo through it though.

But mine has had problems locking back on an empty magazine. Not sure if I'll send it back or not. I care more about firing reliably than locking back.

hittman

Staff member
AlaskaErik said:
I want to make sure there won't be any issues with rounds failing to feed before I carry this pistol.

To determine that you're gonna have to buy one and put 300 to 500 rounds through it.

Some would argue going to the LCP Max is not an upgrade.

Spread your comfort zone. :lol: Maybe look at Sig 365 or Glock 43, etc.

Cholo

Staff member
The LCP MAX magazines, to put it bluntly, suck. I bought a 2nd 12 rd. mag. and when I got home the follower was hanging out of it. I pushed it back in place and with the lightest pressure got it to pop out again. My LGS let me swap it out and it looked pretty good in the pack. Got home and the slide wouldn't lock back. If I load a single cartridge in it, chamber the round, and eject it-it will lock back.

I'd guess that slides not locking back are probably a mag. problem and not the gun itself. Ruger has got to know there's a mag. issue.

Wow guys! They are 1) true pocket pistols. 2). Not meant to be shot a lot. 3) my Max shoots just fine. Just like my Gen 1. If ya don't like them hittman sell them and get something you like. Ruger ripped the design off of KelTec's 3AT. Go to KTOG forum and read up on the 3AT. That way you will know how to shoot an LCP. They need a fluff and buff.
gramps

hittman

Staff member
gramps said:
If ya don't like them hittman sell them and get something you like.

Been there ….. did just that.

Sad thing is my KelTec functioned flawlessly but I just HAD to trade it for an LCP when they came out. :x

BrightSpark

Bearcat
I'm aware earlier LCP models have had failure to feed issues with certain rounds, such as the Federal Hydra-Shok. I just saw a video on YouTube where an LCP failed to feed at least three Buffalo Bore 90 grain rounds. I would like to upgrade to the LCP Max and use Federal Hydra-Shok Deep 99 grain as my defensive round. Has anyone run this ammo through their LCP Max? I want to make sure there won't be any issues with rounds failing to feed before I carry this pistol.
my LCP MAX has been totally reliable through 300 rounds, no issues.

Kokodude

Bearcat
I've put about 300 rounds through my LCP Max and get a failure to feed once in a while.
It'll leave a round wedged between the chamber and the breech.
What's more concerning is that the mag pops out after 2 or 3 rounds have been fired.
One handed or two handed, the mag will pop out.
I'm not hitting the mag release so I have no clue why it's happening.

larry1096

Bearcat
My LCP Max has been completely reliable through 100 rounds of ball and 15 of Federal Punch (.380 is still tricky to find and expensive...sigh.)

Fully reliable, horrible trigger pull and trigger slap, shoots about 4-5" low AT SEVEN YARDS. At 25 yards I imagine I'd have to aim for a bad guy's hat to hit center of mass.

Still, the capacity and form factor are *very* attractive. Ruger has offered to have it back to check out the shooting low, but I'd rather find alternate sights and just fix that myself, then put in the Galloway trigger I just ordered. There are times all I've been able to carry was my Kahr CW380, the smallest gun I've found that can still do head shots at 50' and is completely reliable. The Max is very nearly as small, but carries 11 rounds vs. 7, a substantial difference IMHO.

Larry

larry1096

Bearcat
…then maybe the acquisition of a Glock 42 may solve the dissatisfaction issue
The issue is a G42 is in no way comparable to an LCP Max in size or capacity. If I was going to carry a 42, I'd carry my 43 or 365 instead.

The Max is in a completely different class, size-wise.

Larry

Kokodude

Bearcat
I sent the Max back to Ruger and am expecting to get it back on Tuesday.
Customer service was excellent.
Hopefully they fixed the issues.