VihtaVuori

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Went back to the gun store today. They still have some primers, so I bought the 500 allowed per day. They also had some VihtaVuori powder. Actually they had a lot, but I only bought one pound. The N340. I'm excited. Most of the gun stores around here don't sell it. Well actually I've never seen it in any gun store.

I took a few minutes to read up on the different powders they sell before deciding on the N340. I saw the N330 is especially designed for 9mm. I might go back tomorrow for my 500 daily primers and buy a pound of the N330 also. But the N340 seems like a good powder in multiple calibers. And they seem to have a pretty nice website with loading data for their powders. BUT! Man, they must not care about the 327 Magnum. That's one of my favorite calibers to load.

Anyone else like this brand of powder? I'll be interested to see how it compares in accuracy to Hodgdon.

I used it shooting only in match rifle loads. I cannot be sure thought it was N135 for 5.56 at 600 yds. Many match shooters were using that the last years I shot NM high power. It was always the most expensive powder but worked really well. For plinking, to me it would be too costly, but that was a few years ago. Times have changed. If that's all available than I would. HS-6 and CFE pistol in Hodgdon have become my go to 9mm and 40 handgun powder, Looks like I have used 2 lbs of HS-6 and 1 of CFE in the last 2 years.

I've found HS-6 is the most accurate for 9mm for me as well. I've still got a good supply of that too, which is why I didn't get the N330.

The powder by the was was $46 per pound. It's actually 1/2 kg which is 1.1 pounds. Unlike 700x which is sold in 14 ounce containers. But the primers (CCI small rifle) were being sold at $6.99 per hundred.

gcf

Bearcat
N-330 for 9mm, .45acp, .44spl, & .45 Colt. I like it better then N-320.
Tried N-340 in the past, & found it worked well for .45acp / 230 ball. Never tried it in the other calibers.

frontstuffers said:
Kevin, where are you shopping at?

I bought this at the Scheel's Sporting Goods store in "The Colony" Texas. What a dumb name for a town. The Colony, not just "Colony" I guess that means I live in The Dallas of Texas. I see you are in Ft. Worth. Scheels seems to have a regular supply of ammo and sometimes primers and powder. The store is big enough so they have kept their prices somewhat "normal."

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
I remember as a kid wondering why it's "The Bronx" but not "The Brooklyn" or "The Queens" or "The Manhattan."
Found myself at Bass Pro in Myrtle Beach recently, said they have been getting small batches of primers in, but were out at the moment. Some ammo in stock, but prices were on the high side. Glad it seems to be better by you!

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the info on the powder. Went to Scheels today and picked up two pounds of VV. Am very much a happy camper. Btw, first time to that store, it's really impressive.

I missed this thread before, so sorry for the late post. I shot their N110 in IHMSA for 44Mag in my FA and loved it and still have several pounds. I was turned onto it when I was going to get into formal Benchrest rifle with 6PPC and I'd learned that most of the guys were sold on using the VitaVhouri powder for its consistency from lot to lot and year to year.

frontstuffers said:
Thanks for the info on the powder. Went to Scheels today and picked up two pounds of VV. Am very much a happy camper. Btw, first time to that store, it's really impressive.

Yes it is very impressive, you're right. They certainly have a lot of very nice pistols in the cases. And as for their optics selection, I suppose expensive scopes take up the same amount of shelf space as cheaper scopes.

Latest posts