1911 Colt 45 barrel link question?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
I have Colt officers model series 80 model IV three and a half inch barrel in stainless steel. Got a question about the barrel link. I'd like to remove the barrel ink and replace it . I picked up a set and I'm going to try to go 5 thousands of an inch under the stock link or just replaced stock size and I'll see if that helps gun. It is hitching sticking open when trying to go into battery when gun is not loaded tilted to the left or pointed down. Gun is stainless steel . I have a sister to that gun within two years of manufacture and that gun function smoothly no matter what. Question is do I remove link pin from right to left, left to right or does it matter? Do they tend to be tough to get out? Thanks! George

NikA

Buckeye
As far as I know the pin is always cylindrical and is agnostic as to which direction it is pushed out. Some pins may have a chamfer that make starting in one direction easier. As for difficulty, it's a mild interference fit but I can't say how much trouble you'll encounter; I'd use an arbor press for this type of operation.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I only did one of these in my lifetime and I tried to keep it simple. I used a stock link and pin that I bought directly from the manufacturer (in my case Springfield Armory 1911). I installed the pin from left to right (as you would point the gun for firing) and I 'pressed' it into place with a small C-clamp.
In summary, I didn't know exactly what I was doing, but it is still working fine years later.
J.

Enigma

Hunter
I've done this hundreds of times, and it doesn't matter. The pin is cylindrical; so is the hole; no taper involved. I developed the habit of driving pins from left to right over the years, but in this case it honestly doesn't matter.

Many people stake the link pin in place with a center punch after installation, just to keep it in place.

George

Blackhawk
Hey, thought I'd update still didn't get the link set from Midway it's a Sweden 1911 link set. Contacted them the other day they're sending out another! Hopefully I'll get this one! I'll post how I make out and if it helps with the issue for non issue with this gun. George

Latest posts