Federal 147 Syntech flatnose

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike J

Hunter
I found an article that has gel testing results. https://www.range365.com/federal-syntech-for-self-defense-ammo-test/

Quite informative, thanks.
This ammo really delivers a load of energy onto swinging steel targets especially at the velocities reached with 10.5" barrels(frequently exceeds speed of sound). Dropping back to 8.3-8.5" barrel length helps keep the bullets sub-sonic but still get and occasional 'sonic boom'.
Shooting 2# swingers hung from 'baler belt' straps @ 50 yards usually causes the target to wrap it's hanger around the support bar. Heavier targets will be pushed hard enough to swing to the horizontal. This is exponentially more energy being delivered to the targets vs 115 FMJ.
I tried shooting the 147 flatnose into water filled milk jugs but w/o something supporting the row of jugs, the 'push' forces them out of line and I've not been able to catch one of the bullets.
Not sure how the flatnose from a handgun would play into a SD scenario but the fragmenting version looks interesting in that arena. The flatnose' main interest for me is in the PDW platform and there is a 150 grain version that may remain sub-sonic from the longer barrel.

Great article.

I'd have a hard time choosing between the purple ones and the blue ones. They each rely on a specific on-target effect, either of which should be very discouraging to a miscreant.

I'd likely try both from my pistol to determine functional dependability. JMHO

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
The " Purple " matches the trajectory and recoil of HST , but its a solid Non- Expanding Flatnose . Notwithstanding the theoretical difference between flatnose and traditional FMJ , the performance will be substantially the same as generic FMJ .

'Notwithstanding the theoretical difference between flatnose and traditional FMJ '

And that's why I'd like to see a gelatin test which shows the wound channel.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I like heavy flatnose slugs, that is what all my carry guns are stoked with. 147 grain in 9mm, 150 grain in .38 Special, and 105 grain in .380.

With the ammo supply beginning to loosen up a bit, I ordered a 500 round case of the Federal SynTech 150 grain flatnose. This ammo stays sub-sonic in my AR PDW and is extremely quiet suppressed. This ammo has tremendous kinetic energy while the flat nose transfers that KE to targets.