3 months from today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kanook

Buckeye
There is no permission needed/paperwork to take a silencer out of state that is yours.
Just a copy of the stamp is all. (And the states you are going to allow them)

Well thanks Kanook. I did more research and found I'd received some incorrect info from my dealer.
Somewhat moot point since I don't have any suitable ammo for using the 6.5C on elk anyway but at least I'm better informed.

I'm not an expert and few state regs are the same: Some states have landowner depredation/herd reduction permits that are provided to landowners who are suffering losses due to wintering elk/deer herds. In New Mexico it seems that these landowner vouchers are a valuable commodity within the outfitter community. All of my NM elk hunts have been on these landowner voucher tags. In 2018 & 19 we hunted with an outfitter who was a relative of the landowner but last year and next month we're hunting on the same type of voucher tag which the outfitter has provided. I assume the outfitter paid the landowner(s) for their voucher(s) so he could use the 'no draw' feature to attract hunters.
I have no idea how this works in other states except MO. In MO, landowner tags are non-transferable. Once a tag is issued, there's no swapping.

If it's a 'landowner voucher' then it might be legally transferable. Once the 'tag' is purchased, I don't think that part is transferable. The landowner voucher guarantees receiving a tag not subject to drawings or lottery. It is not a license or 'tag'.
About a month ago, the outfitter emailed me the 6 digit voucher codes for use in buying our tags. Then it was just a matter of accessing the NM fish and game website, logging into our individual account, entering those numbers, selecting the proper license and habitat stamps, and providing CC payment.
To their credit, NM was on the ball and our tags arrived within 7-10 days.

2 1/2 weeks to go. Time is getting tight as all the stuff starts piling up. Having troubles with the furnace installation. All the HVAC guys are too busy to help with a piece of ductwork that's absolutely required. I didn't realize this old house had obscure sized ducts. If I can't get a piece made locally today, I have to order from Menards with a Nov 15 delivery. That's cutting things way too close.
Talked to the new partner in the hunt a couple days back. He's trying to catch up with farm work and get stuff finished also. I'd made a couple of suggestions about ammo selection and he said he has that covered. Cousin is in the same boat as last year although he does know where his rifle and ammo is this time. I guess some are just that way.
I've been shooting a couple times a week but last evening began more rigorous efforts. Twenty five rounds through the 77/22 each evening from now until heading out. Started at 50 yards on the 2" swingers but found that was too easy and moved back to 65. Still good but that may be approaching the limit of the 30+ year old ammo I'm using.
I still haven't checked the zero on the 25/06 and need to reset the 6.5Cr for hunting ammo. Still have goats downrange of the target butt and Son sort of indicated he didn't trust the bullet stopping capability of what I'm using after seeing what the 6.5 does to the 300 meter plate.

Badger Matt

Single-Sixer
Mobuck - I hope all goes well on your hunt. Ours was a blast. I elected not to get a tag because that would be waaay too much meat if we were all successful. Good thing as everyone in camp filled their tags, whether cow elk, Mule Deer, or both. I enjoyed myself so much I booked a cow elk and Mule Deer hunt for 2023.

R0796RR.jpg

lL5bfpy.jpg

Me and my son with his elk.
rFZjVGd.jpg

Me and my father with his elk.
JIrVhzM.jpg

Wow Matt, that's GREAT!!!! You are blessed to have both Dad and Son on this trip.
Did you guys ambush them as they came out of the timber cover?
I've been watching the weather for the area where we're going. Temps in the lower country are nearly the same as here in north MO but I'm certain it will be colder up in the high ground. Lots of points and ridgelines running up to 9000'+ so I'm expecting snow at those elevations by mid-November. I'm fine with that as long as it doesn't get colder than mid-teens.

Badger Matt

Single-Sixer
Dad shot his as it left a field of winter wheat; rancher called it collecting taxes from the elk. My son's was in the Cottonwood bottoms and they cut off the herd as it headed for timber to bed down. The night before my son took his cow, he was in amongst a herd with battling bulls - that'll get your heart-rate up

Badger Matt

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the kind comments. I do treasure my time with my father and my son...as well as my buddy, 15 years my senior. Dad's coming out for Thanksgiving and son for Christmas and both will join my buddy in his tree stand for Whitetails. Life is good!

Latest posts