GP100 ejector retainer loose

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ron IL

Bearcat
I took my GP100 out the other day to exercise it. It is the best revolver I have ever had. I hadn't had it out in over a year. I didn't get out last year due to the COVID thing and six months of chemo. And first of this year I picked up an import SW model 10 to play with. I fired about 25 rounds in the Ruger and the cylinder would not open. I finally got it open and if I spun it one way about 1/4 turn it locked up and would spin freely the other way. I had an Alaskan that did that and sent it in. I had bought it used and they basically overhauled it for free. Great service. So I knew what it was. I got it home and took out the cylinder and turned the ejector retainer with a small screwdriver to the left and seemed to fix it. I knew I only turned it enough to work and not tight. I ordered the screwdriver bit from Brownells. I got it a couple days later and tightened it a little more. I am going to shoot it as is and see if it does it again. If it should I think I will take it apart and clean the threads good and put a drop of loctite on it. I am thinking while it was loose that probably some oil maybe oozed in the threads and will happen again.

Ron IL

Bearcat
I have it out a few times now and so far seems to stay tight. I didn't want to overdo it and maybe damage the screwdriver slot on it. If it does it again will tear it down again and clean it up good and re-tighten. This is definitely my favorite revolvers of all time.