How tough are High Points???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Full disclosure I DO NOT NOW, NOR HAVE I EVER owned a high point. I've got a nephew who is broke because he's allergic to work, and several years ago he called me and ask me about him getting a high point. I did tell him I've never heard they don't work. They supposedly do fire when the time comes. But here's a test. This test is mind boggling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JV8PY4_b80&t=983s Surprising to me.

The good stuff starts at 3:12 in.

Mike J

Hunter
I've always heard that they work. Big heavy & awkward looking but they work. I came close to buying one once but didn't. I was at a gun show & a guy had a pile of them on his table. He was selling them for $99 brand new in the box. I almost bought one just to see how good or bad it was. Then I thought about whether or not I really wanted one. The answer was no. However if a person wanted an inexpensive gun that would most likely work I believe a Hi Point would fill the role admirably.

I dunno. Years ago, a guy brought me a High Point that had broken the slide at the ejection port. He said the front portion was projected approx 15-20', mag fell out, barrel went back over his head, and the rear portion of the slide cut a gouge in his wrist before jamming solidly hanging off the rear of the frame.
I wasn't there when it happened so can't say what preceded this catastrophic event but the shooter was darned lucky he wasn't hurt worse. There's a u-toober (Demolition Ranch or something like that) who has done some pretty bad things to High Points just trying to destroy them but hasn't had much success. I wouldn't throw one away if the Zombies were chasing me but would pick almost any other option if given a choice.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Plenty of people have bought one for grins , to show how easily they fail/ wear out . And they can't do it .

They may be ugly , ill balanced, ugly , only reliable w/ fmj , and ugly , but they keep chugging forever .

That said , for $100 more , you can get better and more ergonomic .

My experience... although one might make excuses that they're good enough for their diminutive price. I remember a day when I could not afford a decent handgun, and I made excuses of why a cheap pistol might be better than nothing. The same excuse still applies, until the pistol doesn't work. Then it's worth far less than nothing.

A friend of mine has one. He's not necessarily a gun person, and he raves about how wonderful his Hi-Point pistol is. We were shooting at another friends farm on one occasion, and he coaxed me to shoot his Hi-Point. From the very first round, it would not chamber unless upward pressure was applied to the magazine. Probably a simple fix, but he still raved about this pistol. And the little stamped-steel safety lever preferred to flex as opposed to actually disengaging the safety. The consensus of Hi-Point owners is often, with excuses, they are great guns and for the price they can live with little things like a pistol that wont chamber a round. :?

I learned long ago, it's not wise to make fun of another mans ride, or his gun, so I wont. But for me, I will not buy a Hi-Point pistol.

But ain't it a beauty? 8)

I'm being facetious apparently no one bothered to view the you-tube video. I was amazed how well they held up under some amazing circumstances. It may be an inexpensive gun (make that cheap) but he held up to some amazing torture. To make a point, if a High Point will hold up to that testing, just think how durable the better guns on the market are.

Oh yes, I viewed the video. Spectacular that any gun would survive such torture.

I thought your post was, in addition, asking opinions.

It's now proven a Hi-Point is capable of firing rebar arrows. My overall opinion however remains unchanged :mrgreen:

That's a joke, son.

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
I have also seen that video a little while back. I am amazed that any gun would be functional afterward. If anyone has one (a High Point) that they are giving away, please contact me. I am not a gun snob. LOL.

My apologies. I had not seen that video before. I had seen a video where the Hi Point was subjected to all kinds of detrimental treatment but still functioned afterwards.

unionprez

Single-Sixer
Some years ago, my son told me that he saw one at a garage sale of all places and the guy wanted $40.00 for it. I told him that he screwed up, he should have bought it and sent it in to Hi-Point and they go through them and repair or replace any missing or damaged parts for free. He could have had a close to new gun for $40.00. Unless things have changed, they have a lifetime warranty that covers the gun no matter how many owners it has had.

I heard a guy say once, that it's a good thing to have a gun you wouldn't mind dropping in the river should the need arise. I think a high point might just be that gun. Not going to run out and get one. At my age I've never had a need to drop one in the river yet, so not sure there's any hurry.

dgr416

Single-Sixer
We had a shooting day at a neighbor's and they invited a bunch of doctors to come .These were millionaires and had the cheapest pistols made .They had a couple of high points and some others . They never had more than two shots fired and finally gave up on those pieces of junk .They shot some of our pistols and decided they better get better pistols to defend their families .