Hand file recommendations

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm looking for suggestions on a decent hand file set for firearms and general purpose to include with my other tools. For many years I've ignored having a quality file(s) for any task I'm doing until this week when I asked myself why I have a nice Brownell bit set I use constantly, calipers, good hex wrenches, etc but never got a decent set of files. I could use something for fitting sights, mostly, but wouldn't mind a set for all-around general use around the house. Are most gunsmiths using Swiss cut pattern or American pattern? So far I've been reading an old Nicholson Cooper file book and I picked up some USA-made Nicholson 6" and 10" in bastard, 2nd cut, and smooth, as well as a Brazilian-made 10" fine with safe sides. Thanks!

jgt

Buckeye
One of the best files I have for gun work has been the 1911 slide/frame rail file. I have several expensive good quality files, but that is my favorite.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
A great way to do smallish utility round files is with chain saw files.
They come in at least 3 diameters and come in packs of at least 3 ea.
They are sharp , cut fast and cheap enough to be disposable .
I keep a huge stash of them around .

Get a set of Swiss Pattern Needle Files - You can spend little to a lot, get a decent set you'll probably pay less than $50. You can get them on eBay, Amazon, Grainger, McMaster-Carr, and other places.

Also, Brownells sells specific files for dovetails (60 degree, 65 degree) and they also have the Swiss files and other files for gunsmithing.

Like other tools, you will regret buying cheap. If you want quality, buy once, cry once, don't take a chance on messing up your guns.

What are XF files? (Extra fine?). Are they specific to Swiss cut? I don't see that description among the American cuts.

Also, what are the most useful Swiss cut coarseness if I wanted to pick up a few?

Not sure what the XF means, probably extra fine, but don't quote me on that.

Here is a good explanation of files: https://www.kmstools.com/blog/hand-file-identification/

I have numerous files from bastard cut to smooth cut, from large to small sizes and my very small fine cut are from a company called Glardon-Vallorbe. I got these many years ago and they still do great work. I use them for the fine touches when finishing something up. I believe they are considered jewelers files but the work great for what I want.

I was just looking at the Nicholson catalog, and it did not say what XF means, but it did associate it explicitly with the Swiss cut files. Thanks for sharing your experiences. After my last project, I think I've grown to appreciate a file that has a "safe" edge so that I don't dig into a joining material even if it's covered with tape.

woodsy

Blackhawk
IF one is looking for the finest metalworking tools on the planet (with prices to match) they should check out this supplier, from whom I have purchased incredibly made stuff for the last 40 years:

https://www.gesswein.com/

any ruger

Blackhawk
. High School the machine shop teacher as our first test after 6 was gave each or us a block of steel. It was over 1 inch. He gave us each a file and a 1inch micrometer told us to make it 1inch square. I didn't do real good but I learned how to use a file.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
any ruger said:
. High School the machine shop teacher as our first test after 6 was gave each or us a block of steel. It was over 1 inch. He gave us each a file and a 1inch micrometer told us to make it 1inch square. I didn't do real good but I learned how to use a file.

That's kinda how I was taught how to use a shovel .

RSIno1

Hunter
any ruger said:
They still use this skill builder in the German apprenticeship programs.

Question: what's that cut that most gunsmiths use to, for example, remove a little material from the bottom of a sight to fit the dovetail better? Guessing either American cut "smooth" or a 4-6" file or a Swiss cut "2" on same size file?

Thanks for the comments. I ended up putting together a descent assortment of American and Swiss cut patterns, lengths of 10", 6", and 4" as well as flat, half-round, round, square, and three-square as well as pouches and box to store it all. At least now I have the right file for any job I'd care to tackle.