Shipping Bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sjs

Single-Sixer
Is it legal for a private person to ship projectiles in the US to another person? My google searches just keep giving me info on ammunition, not the unloaded projectiles.

Also, what is the cheapest way to ship them?

My local USPS, FedEx and UPS employees all seem to believe they are deputized ATF agents and add restrictions on shipping any gun related items on top of what the law and the corporate policies require. So I don't want to ask them.

NikA

Buckeye
Yes, they can go USPS. If they ask what's in the box, "small parts" is an adequate description. I've both shipped and received via USPS, UPS, and FedEx.

Bullets for reloading are basically inert widgets until they get married to a case with primer and propellant.

RSIno1

Hunter
Cheapest way to ship is the USPS priority flat rate boxes.
Unprimed or used brass can also go USPS.
Powder and primers (but not primed brass) are considered hazardous material and require a bunch of paperwork and a fee. Generally places won't accept hazardous materials shipments from private parties.

No problem shipping bullets via any method but USPS is the cheapest. I have shipped 1000,s of bullets along with any and all commercial bullet makers. Yes the flat rate box is the way to go. Just for reference you can get 2000 240gr 44cal into a medium flat rate box for $15.50, so less than a penny a piece for shipping. Just be sure to use lots of tape!!! Another tip is to contain them inside the box. I use the USPS tyvek bags, label each bag like you are sending just that bag, then put these into the small flat rate box which I also label to the end destination. 6 of the small boxes fit perfectly inside the medium box. If any of the boxes should happen to get split open, the bullets are still contained with shipping info on where they are heading.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
RSIno1 said:
Cheapest way to ship is the USPS priority flat rate boxes.
Unprimed or used brass can also go USPS.
Powder and primers (but not primed brass) are considered hazardous material and require a bunch of paperwork and a fee. Generally places won't accept hazardous materials shipments from private parties.

Hi,

USPS: unprimed brass and/or "loose" bullets (not loaded) are fine, and those flat rate packages can save you a buck or so. My now retired "best mail carrier I ever had" used to question the flat rate box with 50 lbs of lead shot that came once in a while when local sources were dry. I just told him it was "heavy stuff."

USPS: don't even THINK about sending primed brass, primers, powder or loaded ammo. There will be guys in black suits in your future. They're dead serious about what goes or doesn't if the end result is a "bang!"

UPS and FedEx seem to be ok with the hazmat shipments as long as they're properly identified and shipped (ground only for most of them) but I understand you may have to ship from one of their hubs, not a local UPS Store or equivalent where you may get the "We can't do that" story from someone who doesn't know how or isn't authorized to accept your shipment.

As for USPS, if you don't like an answer you get, ask for the next higher person on the totem pole to come talk to you with their DMM (Domestic Mail Manual) in hand. That's their Bible and addresses all you (or they) might need to know to get your package on its way.

Rick C

Enigma

Hunter
Rick Courtright said:
RSIno1 said:
As for USPS, if you don't like an answer you get, ask for the next higher person on the totem pole to come talk to you with their DMM (Domestic Mail Manual) in hand. That's their Bible and addresses all you (or they) might need to know to get your package on its way.

Rick C

I have encountered a tremendous number of uninformed people working at the USPS over the years. Their favorite statement seems to be 'you can't mail that!' Very few of them seem to know what info the DMM actually contains, and simply want to recite their opinion or interpretation. Nowadays, if they ask 'what's in it?' my reply is 'nothing that is prohibited - which is essentially all that they are required to know.

"I have encountered a tremendous number of uninformed people working at the USPS over the years."
I got a call last night from a local guy asking if I could answer a question he'd got a 'run around' answer for from the Post Office. I gave him clarification on the question and guided him to the correct procedure. Apparently, none of the local USPS personnel even knew where to look or were too lazy to look for the answer.
Keep in mind, I've been retired for 12.5 years but I still knew the answer while the current goobers don't even know where to look for that answer. That's the key to information in USPS, you don't have to to know all the answers but do need to know where to find them in the 40# of detailed manuals.

Dan in MI

Staff member
AJGUNNER said:
No problem shipping bullets via any method but USPS is the cheapest. I have shipped 1000,s of bullets along with any and all commercial bullet makers. Yes the flat rate box is the way to go. Just for reference you can get 2000 240gr 44cal into a medium flat rate box for $15.50, so less than a penny a piece for shipping. Just be sure to use lots of tape!!! Another tip is to contain them inside the box. I use the USPS tyvek bags, label each bag like you are sending just that bag, then put these into the small flat rate box which I also label to the end destination. 6 of the small boxes fit perfectly inside the medium box. If any of the boxes should happen to get split open, the bullets are still contained with shipping info on where they are heading.

THIS^

I have shipped and, been shipped bullets, many many times. Package them well. Heavy boxes don' always get lifted and carried. I've seen them tossed, kicked, and rolled. I once received a damaged box with 45 cal bullets in it. There was a hole in the corner and some had leaked out. I got the box and most of the order, plus a few loose bullets in the mailbox. Then every time I went to the P.O. I old get handed a few loose bullets. As they found them in the back room they put them aside for me. Not everyone has a P.O. that nice.

LAH

Buckeye
I've shipped a few tons of them. Best rate now is the post office. When asked why so heavy I simply replied, lead castings.

Latest posts