Is Expensive 22 Ammo Worth It?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hpman66

Hunter
Four different brands of ammo are fired through a 10/22 RUGER to see what size groups they would produce. :wink:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_O8EIjg3-UQ
Is Expensive 22 Ammo Worth It?
AP2020 Outdoors
Published on May 12, 2021
3 hours ago

gunzo

Buckeye
Great ammo is worth it if you intend to do great things.

But, his results with the first 3 brands indicates to me that he didn't take care with shot placement or trigger control. The group with the Ely indicates he can shoot & his rifle is up to the task. But notice how his timing & concentration changes with the last group. Seemed obvious to me.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I've said it many times, and probably will again: Every gun and ammo combination is a law unto itself, and there's no way to know what any particular gun "likes" without testing it. The gun doesn't care what your ammo costs. And all this is especially true with .22.

About a decade ago I tested 6 kinds of ammo carefully through about 20 different rifles. The cheap (then) Federal bulk stuff was consistently the least accurate, finishing 6th out of 6 in probably 2/3 of the guns. The most accurate rifle I shot was--no surprise--a scoped Anschutz, which easily finished the tests in #1 spot. But you'll never guess what the Anschutz grouped best with: The cheap Fed bulk that every other gun hated. Go figger. :shock:

As I said, shoot YOUR ammo in YOUR gun and see what works best for YOU. There's really no other way.

It's only worth it to the folks that think it is, me included.

I am an enthusiast of little tiny groups. If I can cut my 10-shot groups down to dime-size or less at 50 yards, I'm willing to pay for it. If I'm out shooting varmints that are dollar-bill size, then run of the mill ammo is quite sufficient. 8)

I've performed the same test many times. i've discovered the more you pay, the smaller the groups.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I had one session a decade or so ago that told me the variation by brand can be
quite large.

I was shooting a 77/22 from sandbags. The Winchester Silver Box ammo was
printing half inch groups at 50 yards. I was happy. - - - One of the guys at the
range was extolling the virtues of Federal and insisted I run ten through the 77/22.
OK, what the heck. Free ammo? I'll try it. The group I got with the Federal was
twice the size I was getting from the Winchester, AND a full inch lower on the target.

Golly-Gee-Whiz . . . . I wonder if that is why I never bought any Federal after that?

diyj98

Single-Sixer
Snake45 said:
I've said it many times, and probably will again: Every gun and ammo combination is a law unto itself, and there's no way to know what any particular gun "likes" without testing it. The gun doesn't care what your ammo costs.

Very true, although the match ammo is normally much more consistent. You'll find one gun may prefer Eley, while another RWS, but you'll seldom find any gun that will shoot cheap promo ammo as well as any of the match ammo. The ammo just isn't loaded to the same variances.

Enigma

Hunter
diyj98 said:
Snake45 said:
I've said it many times, and probably will again: Every gun and ammo combination is a law unto itself, and there's no way to know what any particular gun "likes" without testing it. The gun doesn't care what your ammo costs.

Very true, although the match ammo is normally much more consistent. You'll find one gun may prefer Eley, while another RWS, but you'll seldom find any gun that will shoot cheap promo ammo as well as any of the match ammo. The ammo just isn't loaded to the same variances.

And even the expensive stuff has significant variations between different lots. Some vendors even test the different lot numbers and post the results on their websites. Not sure how much that really proves - except what lots their test rifle(s) preferred.

Pat-inCO said:
I was shooting a 77/22 from sandbags. The Winchester Silver Box ammo was
printing half inch groups at 50 yards. I was happy. - - - One of the guys at the
range was extolling the virtues of Federal and insisted I run ten through the 77/22.
OK, what the heck. Free ammo? I'll try it. The group I got with the Federal was
twice the size I was getting from the Winchester, AND a full inch lower on the target.

The inch low is a matter of sight adjustment, but the group size is another matter altogether. :wink:

I have more than one .22 rifle, and see differences in ammo preference between them.

Cost/reward. If I'm hunting squirrels (people do that) a box of 50 will last a year or two. If I'm teaching a kid to shoot that's a different world. That's why I've accumulated 30 boxes over the years.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Cheap bulk pack ammo has far more duds than better ammo too. I don't use cheap bulk ammo for matches because it is less accurate and too meany dead rounds.

jjas

Single-Sixer
If your goal is to consistently shoot the smallest groups you can...yes.

If your goal is to plink...then no. Bulk ammo will likely work just fine for you.

I shoot 22 benchrest and even the most expensive ammo will shoot different in different guns i was having scope issues one day a decided to save my good stuff and play with some old Remington standard velocity target that i had and after fixing the scope issue i found that the Remington target was almost as good as the $16 a box Eley as far as the point of impact change even the expensive ammo will change velocity between lots also different coatings like wax or being copper washed will make a difference

Gramps

Montelores

Buckeye
Pat-inCO said:
Ale-8(1) said:
The inch low is a matter of sight adjustment,
but the group size is another matter altogether. :wink:
Pray tell . . . . . If it is working for MY Winchester,
WHY would I readjust for ten rounds of Federal?

Just a guess, but you might be missing the point here.

:D

Monty

Dan in MI

Staff member
As stated, it all comes down to your gun and its ammo preference.

Back in the 80's I tested ammo in my 14" T/C Contender. I shot everything I could get my hands on from high dollar to bulk pack. About 15 different brands, types. (Tenex, RWS target, RWS rifle, CCI green tag, Mini Mag, WW super X , WW Wildcats, RP target, RP bulk off the top pf my head) Most all shot under an inch at 50 yards. (this is from memory now so it's ballpark, but doesn't change the point) The best was like 5/8" (Eley of some variant), of course some brands were out in the 1.5" range, but the kicker was Remington Golden Bullets (in the pint milk cartons) shot dang near as good at 3/4". So I noted the lot # and bought all K mart had.

Would that test repeat today? I doubt it. R-P GB's are now known for issues. But it goes to show you can't tell until you test.

hpman66

Hunter
What gets me is that at least once/twice a month on every rimfire forum, some newbie/tyro with new rifle/handgun asks which ammo is the most accurate for their particular firearm. Sometimes the newbie/tyro gets Snake45's good advice(every gun is a law/rule unto itself) and a lot/most of the time the almost useless reply advice is a different brand/bullet type/bullet weight for each of the responders.

jimd441

Blackhawk
For any given gun, remember that in addition to brand to brand performance variation, there is also lot to lot variation, and variation within a given lot.

On a somewhat related topic, I recently had a run of a few hundred mini-mags with several audibly underpowered rounds and one so underpowered I thought it was a dud. Only when I saw the hole in the target (about a foot low at 10 yards) did I realize it wasn't a dud. In decades of mini-mag use, I have never experienced mini-mags this bad. Conversely, I have been running a few hundred old Rem GBs through my revolvers to use them up. Their performance has been very consistent. I would not have predicted these events.

Jim

Snake45

Hawkeye
jimd441 said:
For any given gun, remember that in addition to brand to brand performance variation, there is also lot to lot variation, and variation within a given lot.

On a somewhat related topic, I recently had a run of a few hundred mini-mags with several audibly underpowered rounds and one so underpowered I thought it was a dud. Only when I saw the hole in the target (about a foot low at 10 yards) did I realize it wasn't a dud. In decades of mini-mag use, I have never experienced mini-mags this bad. Conversely, I have been running a few hundred old Rem GBs through my revolvers to use them up. Their performance has been very consistent. I would not have predicted these events.

Jim
VERY interesting! I don't have extensive experience with MiniMags--only a few hundred rounds, maybe into low four digits--but I never experienced anything like that, and only one "dud" that fired with a second strike.

Rem GBs of the last decade or so are another story. I've recorded at least FOUR different noise levels for them out of the same box. Amazingly, this doesn't seem to affect the accuracy, at least out to 50 yards. They're are the favorite load of one of my rifles. :shock:

jimd441

Blackhawk
Snake45 - I know what you mean about the different noise levels of Rem GBs. Regarding accuracy, I really can't tell because for about the last 10 years or so I have been shooting them from revolvers, and I attribute any inconsistenty of shot placement to yours truly. The dud rate I have experienced (until recently as described above) has been excessive, I would guess 2% or maybe more. Other ammo has performed well in the same guns so the issue is not light strikes.

Jim