10/22 Prices WOW.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
My Dad asked me to look for a Walnut Stocked 1022 like he use to have, before my Brother abused it into a beat-up rusted heap.

My brother still has it, But my Dad doesn't want that one back.

Looking local and on GunB, Prices are nuts, he bought his in the late 1960's. My Brother killed it in the 80's

Do you ever see any of the older walnut stocked 1022's for sale anymore?

RSIno1

Hunter
I picked up one of the 50th aniv ones for the grandson last year. Like new $150. A far cry from my early models with anodized receiver (newer ones are painted) and metal parts. Look for an early model if you don't like things like a plastic trigger group, barrel band, butt plate, etc.

The prices on firearms can be quite crazy. Several years ago I did pick this one up for my husband's birthday and Christmas present, he, and I, are both pleased with it:

iUh0EiQ.jpg

kevin masten

Blackhawk
The older, walnut stocked, Sporter models with the thin plastic buttplate are getting rather pricey for sure. These little rifles were used hard and really nice ones are also getting hard to find. Some of the older, vintage 10/22s are really steep in price, also. Patience and time will carry the day for you in locating a nice rifle. Pawn shops, gun shops will be your best bet. Good luck in your quest.

kevin masten

Blackhawk
Also, the restocked 10/22 is quite nice. I would be pound to own it. Is it accurate? Is it glass bedded. Nice!

jimd441

Blackhawk
This thread sparked my curiosity. In March 2009 I paid $300 for a new 1022 DSP deluxe sporter with the nice walnut stock from my lgs. It was the going price then. There was shop 40 miles away that sold them for about $20 less if I recall correctly. That was over 12 years ago. Mine has the plastic trigger group and the much hated black barrel. It has been a great gun for what I guess is about 3,000 rounds.

The suggested retail price on the Ruger website today is $420 which means you should be able to get for less if not for the seeming current shortage of all guns. To me, that doesn't seem too bad. However, I don't know what they are actually selling for these days.

Jim

hittman

Staff member
Local stores tell me that even 10/22s (if you can get one) will bring full MSRP or more.

I was looking for one of the (Lipsey's??) stainless/ wood with the longer 24" barrel. Found on Gun Broker they were bringing MSRP plus $50 or so.

The most recent 10-22 I bought was in 2019. I stopped at a small hole in the wall gun shop and there was a new 10-22 on the rack. Black plastic stock and threaded muzzle with a price tag of $169 + 7% sales tax. I walked out with it @ $165 including tax. It's not the pretty blued, walnut stocked model of the past but it still sends bullets to the right spot. With the 3-9x40 NIKON rimfire scope mounted, it'll scare the dimples off a golf ball @ 75 yards.

jimd441

Blackhawk
it'll scare the dimples off a golf ball @ 75 yards. :lol: :lol:

Jim

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
Most recent for me was last fall. I bought a few Rugers and 1 S&W .500 Mag from someone that I shot with once in awhile. He just wanted them out of his house. I bet he's wishing he waited.

Ruger .22LR wise I got a Stainless Bearcat Shopkeeper, a 1022 carbine w/hardwood stock, a 1022 stainless takedown and a Charger takedown. And he tossed in a NIB Primary arms 6x .22LR scope.

He had an old 1022 with the finger groove stock, he sold that to someone else

hittman

Staff member
I was in a local store today that now has a basic blued and birch 10/22 for $319.

The blued with synthetic stock was $349.

EVILDOCTOR235

Single-Sixer
I bought my first Ruger 10-22 in 1978 or 1979 at Montgomery Wards in Napa California. I was in Wards for what reason I don't remember. I wound up buying a plain jane model. The rifle was priced at $79.00 plus tax. I did the paperwork and noticed there was no magazine in the rifle. The saleslady said they stored the magazines in another place. She searched and was unable to locate the magazine. She asked me if she discounted the rifle because of no magazine would I still buy it ? I said yes I still wanted it and she said she was taking $15.00 off the retail price. So I paid $64.00 plus tax. I stopped at a gun shop on the way home and bought a new factory magazine for $6.00 plus tax. I believe at that time the plain jane models still had walnut stocks ? I don't remember the last time I fired it. It has to have been 20 years ago at least.

EvilDr235

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
I believe the last year of the Walnut stock carbine was 1974, with a 113- S/N prefix. But I have bought NOS Rugers handguns from little hole in the wall dealers.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
Local stores tell me that even 10/22s (if you can get one) will bring full MSRP or more.

Pretty well the case right now, but a "friend" of mine wanted to buy an extra 10/22 with cheapo scope I have. He told me a used 10/22 was a $100 gun. Needless to say I told my "friend" that I decided not to sell it after all.

Pps1980

Single-Sixer
While I like the walnut stocks ultimately ended up with SS take-down model with black plastic. Its much easier to store and transport and requires less maintenance overall (plus it actually holds its zero).
10-22-Ruger.jpg

Cdog

Bearcat
I picked this one up yesterday.

I tried to walk away, but I kept thinking about how good it looks when compared with hardwood or plastic stocked versions.

$380 OTD

attachment.php

tinman

Buckeye
RugerForMe said:
My Dad asked me to look for a Walnut Stocked 1022 like he use to have, before my Brother abused it into a beat-up rusted heap.
My brother still has it, But my Dad doesn't want that one back.
Looking local and on GunB, Prices are nuts, he bought his in the late 1960's. My Brother killed it in the 80's
Do you ever see any of the older walnut stocked 1022's for sale anymore?

PM sent