M77 Rifle info--UPDATE Rifle now in hand!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
Is there a site or guide for Ruger M77 rifles? I am wanting to pick up a 30-06 bolt action rifle. Have always liked Savage rifles and a 110E in 30-06 was my first deer rifle. However, I also like the Ruger rifles.

I have been offered an M77 30-06 in blue steel and walnut for what seems like a decent price of $450 locally.

The seller doesn't know a whole lot about it, like sub-model variation or anything. Says it is polished blue, not matte and in good condition, with checkered walnut stock. Thinks maybe around 40 years old. Tang safety.

Can anyone be of assistance with ID-ing this rifle before I meet him to take a look at it (either directly, or point me to a Ruger M77 Rifle Guide somewhere)? Google didn't seem to be all that much help without more specifics. Thanks.

Rob

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
I was actually pretty interested in the rifle. He pulled it out to check the SN for me (turns out it is from 1978). And it has a scope on it that he forgot about. A Redfield 3x9 with what he calls "TV" style objective and eyepiece. And the price is now $600 with the scope (he doesn't want to separate them).

I realize this is probably still an OK deal, but is more than I was looking to spend right now on a "just to have it" bolt rifle. I found this one on GB and sent him a link and he said it is "a dead ringer" for his rifle. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/899465709

Local sale, so a $20 transfer fee, but no tax or shipping. Any updates on the thoughts here?

Rob

kevin masten

Blackhawk
Good answers all. There are several variations of the M77 rifle of the era of which you speak; some of the variations will command somewhat higher prices than the standard model. 22" barrel, no sights lighter weight, tapered barrel is what I presume you are asking about. The $450 is an outstanding price for a really nice M77. The Redfield scope is just that. A used scope . The scope is probably serviceable . If the seller is firm on his price, I would still grab it. Nice , older M77 rifles are getting much harder to find. The M77 is a well built, finished rifle for the price it retailed for when new.

Good luck in your negotiations.

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
I made him an offer and we've agreed on $550. I'll report back when I have the rifle.

Rob

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
Here it is!

ruger_m77_3006_right.jpg

Made in 1979 according to the Ruger SN lookup. Has honest wear from 40+ years as a hunting rifle. Bore and crown look good. Don't see any rust or pitting. Mainly the finish loss on the bottom from being carried (mag floorplate at the front and nearby wood). Red thin butt pad. The scope is probably appropriate vintage and is not super bright or clear. But it is also a gray day here and I hate glassing the neighbors.

The seller pointed out that it appears to have an adjustable aftermarket trigger. Break is nice and crisp. Could not put hands on my trigger pull gauge though.

ruger_m77_3006_action_right.jpg

ruger_m77_3006_action_left.jpg

ruger_m77_3006_bottom

Anything else you voyeurs would like to see?

Quite happy to have it!

Rob

You fooled me. I assumed all along it was a M-77R. But alas,it's a M-77S. You've got sights! Great rifle. 8)

Trigger? These came with an adjustable trigger. That adjustable trigger was subject to a recall. Simply, the fix was, they sent you a non-removable plug for the adjustment screw hole, so nobody could ever fiddle with the trigger ever again. In my opinion, the recall was unnecessary. But, to satisfy the lawyers, this fix was to prevent a lawsuit over a negligent discharge caused from a light trigger. :?

57springer

Buckeye
FergusonTO35 said:
I think the pre-Hawkeye 77's are going to gain a legendary status and appreciate in value like the pre-64 Winchesters.
I think this as well . I see them selling as I posted above for $800 and up at Gun auctions. I own 2 of them . A 270 Win . and a 308 win , both excellent shooters . :wink:

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
WAYNO said:
You fooled me. I assumed all along it was a M-77R. But alas,it's a M-77S. You've got sights! Great rifle. 8)

What is the difference and significance of a, R vs an S? As I mentioned in the first post, I know little about variations in the Ruger rifles.

Rob

hittman

Staff member
Teddydogno1 said:
I know little about variations in the Ruger rifles.

Rob

A subscription to RENE through forum member Chet15 would cure that! Its an excellent modest investment.

Teddydogno1 said:
WAYNO said:

What is the difference and significance of a, R vs an S? As I mentioned in the first post, I know little about variations in the Ruger rifles.

Rob

R means the Ruger ring system. Ruger proprietary rings attach directly to the top of the receiver without a scope base.

S means iron sights without the Ruger ring system. A scope base is installed atop the receiver, and after market rings are attached to the base.

They also made a RS model, combining iron sights with the Ruger ring system.

salem103

Bearcat
from photos the mounting system tells me (and I may be wrong) the rifle is an ST or RT smooth or round top, drilled and tapped for non-ruger bases and rings