Possible Installation Of A Recoil Buffer In My SR1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loaded round

Hunter
For years I've hearing the pros and cons about installing a nylon recoil buffer on my SR1911 (or any 1911A1) to dampen slide/frame battering. I would love opinions why, or why not, install a nylon buffer. I'm also considering installing a Nighthawk Custom full legth guide rod at the same time. Advice please?

Dan in MI

Staff member
If you don't replace them regularly they can damage your frame. As they get beat up and start squishing sideways they can crack the frame.

IMO - why add an unnecessary, high maintenance, option that can cause a problem.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Over the years, I've found that those who love them, will swear by them, and those that don't really care much either way. Being an OLD person, I tend to stick with what's worked for the past 100 or so years. I confess that I've tried buffers and the full length rod. Then, for no reason other than "if it ain't broke......" I went back to the original set up designed by Mr. Browning. No real scientific/technical reasoning either way. p.s. I don't shoot a lot of rounds at any one given time to make any kind of determination.
IMHO,
J.

Snake45

Hawkeye
The recoil buffers can also deteriorate over time and crumble into pieces (possibly due to cleaners/lubricants). I had this happen in a 1911 that hadn't been shot in years (Thank God I discovered it before I NEEDED the gun) and the pieces jammed up the action--was a chore to get it apart for cleaning. The obvious solution is, install a recoil buffer if you want before a shooting session, take it back out before you store the gun or strap it back on for self-defense. :wink:

FLGR is basically a personal preference/style decision. They can make the gun run a bit smoother and add a little weight up front, but one way or another complicate disassembly. I have them on most of the 1911s I built back in the '80s and '90s but don't think I would spend the extra money today, as the original system works just fine. Many people hate FLGRs just because they hate them, the way I hate forward grippy-grooves and triggers with three silly holes in them--just because. :wink:

back in those days of Mr Browning designing the various guns there was no 'viable' material to dampen the shock,buffer , of metal hitting metal, just a simple change to a heavier or lighter spring use that came later with the use of different loads....maybe Johns friend and neighbor the parish' Priest who happened to be a shooter, and once a metallurgist said something about "beating your swords into plowshares"...guess we will never know for certain...... 8) :roll:

"and so it goes....." RIP Wil Terry :wink:

PS the Wilson shock buff saved and added life to MY 1960s "light slide" National Match .45 :lol:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I use them in my 1911's. I also put them in my Mini 14's. I bought some for Mini's years ago. They wore out, Wilson's buffers work fine.

Enigma

Hunter
They're primarily a personal preference thing. If you're interested, try them. Just be aware of the possible problems associated with them. I have tried them and found them both unnecessary and prone to cause me problems. Hence, I don't use them.

Greg S

Bearcat
They are OK in 5" guns but start interfering with full slide function in Commanders due to the reduced window of operation.

I prefer hard buffers if using for practice/range and removed for social use.

contender

Ruger Guru
A subject of many differing opinions as well as the reasons why or why not.

I used to shoot a lot of USPSA with a 1911 in .45 acp. My competition gun saw a LOT of ammo,, so I used them,, AND replaced them whenever I saw any sign of deterioration from use. Never had any issues doing it that way.
But in general,, my other 1911's,, I never bothered,, because they do not see the amount of ammo my competition gun did.

Everybody has opinions,,,!

Latest posts